Discolored Sliced Pebble Tiles - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
AGM

Rewards Points: 10

discolored sliced pebble tiles

I'm hoping someone can help with a tile situation.

My contractor installed a very light colored sliced pebble tile for my shower floor. He then proceeded to work on the shower wall tiles and did not cover the floor tile to keep them protected. In order to remove the grout/mud/dirt, he used an acid product, as water did not work. The tile are no longer "dirty" but have an orange/pink/rusty hue to them. He does not feel that this was caused by the acid (muradic?) but by the water itself? He has not yet sealed the stones so I'm hoping there is something we can do.

I've read to avoid bleach products, but I do want to lighten the color back up and remove that rusty tone. Any products we should try?

Thanks!

Advertisement

AGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
He then proceeded to work on the shower wall tiles and did not cover the floor tile to keep them protected.
Not the smartest tile guy. Usually the wall tiles get installed ahead of the floor for that very reason.

Quote:
He does not feel that this was caused by the acid (muradic?)
Yup...I was correct: "Not the smartest tileguy around those parts". Muriatic Acid (Hydrochloric Acid) should not be used indoors. It can be very dangerous to say nothing of the fact that the fumes (alone) can ruin metal finishes and electronics throughout the property. Besides that, Muriatic Acid would only attack any Portland cement products and would not address any other stains - that's not how Muriatic Acid works. Now the grout may have been compromised.

Quote:
He does not feel that this was caused by the acid (muratic?) but by the water itself?
And he may be correct about that. If you have "hard-water" that contains minerals this could very well be iron-oxide developing on the surface of the tiles. It would also be in the grout too.

Were the stains there before the acid was used?

You might try a product called "CLR" (Calcium-Lime-Rust) and see if that helps.

Quote:
I've read to avoid bleach products,
Nonsense. A little bleach won't hurt a tile shower but it isn't recommended for regular use.

Quote:
He has not yet sealed the stones so I'm hoping there is something we can do.
DO NOT SEAL anything until this stain issue is resolved. And even then...sealing won't change future staining if the problem is in the water.

Try the CLR and get back to us.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
AGM

Thanks for your help. I am fortunate in that my contractor has not yet grouted the floor tile. The staining does seem to resemble that of mineral deposits from water, so I'll try what you suggested. Then seal, then grout, then seal again, I believe.

You suggested that even after sealing, the water may still leave staining on the pebbles? Wouldn't the sealing prevent that?

If this helps, when we are away for over a week or so, our toilets do tend to develop a pinkish/rusty color around the water line, so you may be correct that this is from the water, not the acid.

Thanks again.

Last edited by AGM; 11-18-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: to harsh...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Quote:
You suggested that even after sealing, the water may still leave staining on the pebbles? Wouldn't the sealing prevent that?
The staining, if from the water, will be topical. When the water evaporates it will leave the mineral deposits on the surface. The sealer will help with the clean up but it will not prevent the stains from occurring.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
AGM

Got it. Thanks for all your help!

Tags
stain , stone tile