Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which direction should flooring be installed based on floorplan?
Poll Options
Which direction should flooring be installed based on floorplan?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Which direction to install laminate flooring - Floorplan attached

Good Evening!

I am currently in the process of installing laminate flooring throughout my entire house. However, I seem to have hit a snag and can't actually make up my mind - so I'm hoping that you all will be able to provide me with suggestions on the direction I should lay the floor upstairs.

I have read all the recommendations in regards to following the longest wall, as well as running parallel how light enters the room - but many of these rules conflict each other when it comes to my upstairs.

I want to lay the flooring all in the same direction upstairs, as it is a pretty open floor plan (even if it doesn't look like it on the blueprints) - and I think having it run in different directions would really bring attention to it... in a negative way.

I'm uploading two different images on the floor plan - the windows are highlighted in red, and the blue lines should act as the direction of flooring. One image runs from top to bottom, while the second runs from side to side...

Could you please let me know which way you think I should lay the flooring upstairs? Any advice would also be appreciated...

AND...

Thanks in advance for your help!!
~Kevin

oONightFireOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

top one.
mostly because that is likely the direction that would be perpendicular to the joists underneath.
also, when you enter the bedroom, have the boards running long looks best to me.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Since the guidlines for laying your floor conflict with themselves I think that your best bet asthetically is going to be your second option. The bedroom and loft would look fine either way however your hallway would appear more narrow if you went with option 1.
samiller1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

For me, I think planks running sideways in a hallway look funny. So I'd go with the second image.
kaypee65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

not to argue with jlhaslip, when I first looked at your diagram I also immediatly thought first option due to the direction your joists would be running, however because it is a laminate floor and would be floating and would not be tying joists together anyway that was a moot point. Trust me, I just finished a job laying hardwood in a living room, hallway and bedroom not 3 weeks ago. and with the boards running like option 2 even when entering a bedroom looks very nice.
samiller1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypee65 View Post
For me, I think planks running sideways in a hallway look funny. So I'd go with the second image.
I agree with the reasoning - #2 gets my vote.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiller1980 View Post
I think that your best bet asthetically is going to be your second option. The bedroom and loft would look fine either way however your hallway would appear more narrow if you went with option 1.
Xs2... scenario #2 works best for all the spaces. and at the bedroom door you can easily install a piece of the engineered flooring with the rabbit towards the room to accept the tenons of the perpendicular boards and run the other direction in there, or even a threshold if you need to separate it a bit more... but hall and loft should def. be #2

Last edited by freeswimmin; 01-31-2010 at 09:26 PM.
freeswimmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 262

When I walk into a home that has any plank style flooring running parallel to the joist it looks "wrong". Some times I can't figure what doesn't look "right" about the room at first but after a few minutes it hits me... The floor goes the wrong way...

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have hardwood flooring throughout all of my upstairs including the bedrooms, and I would definitely go with the first one.

That is how mine was done.

You want the look of the flooring to flow from one room to the other.

In my opinion the second one does not allow for that. Then again, you can do it however you want, you have to look at it.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, help!, installation, laminate flooring