Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Grand Tortoise

Send a message via AIM to Daggerhart
Share |

Different types of hardwood

Is there a good resource somewhere for seeing the different types of hardwood used for flooring? I'm not the most knowledgeable about woods, so my wife and I aren't sure yet if we want pine, oak, mahogany, etc, etc.
Thanks,
Brandon

Daggerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

I wouldn't suggest looking online. You really need to see it in person. Most big flooring companies have some sort of showroom, and I'd suggest going and looking at them, even if you're doing the floor yourself. It will give you an idea of what species you prefer, and stain colors.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Grand Tortoise

Send a message via AIM to Daggerhart

I'm really interested in some exotic/non-domestic woods. My father has an old house that he restored and is renting out that uses a deep, dark red (almost blood-colored) mahogany wood in the living, dining, foyer rooms - my wife likes that a lot. I've seen some chesnut floors in the past that I like as well. Are these things that local Big Box / hardwood stores would have available?
Daggerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #4

They might have them available, might not. I think the box stores have a lot of prefinished stuff if that interests you.

Flooring specialty stores have the best selection of course.

I've heard good things about "Lumber Liquidators" from friends that have bought pre-finished hardwood from them. Never been there myself.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Still Learning

I was going to say considering you're in North Carolina you can find some great deals on unfinished hardwood as there are oodles of small mills all over the state. But you want exotic...hmmn. I kind of doubt that old house has an exotic in it. Maybe a wild black cherry? It has similar colors.

Big box? Very unlikely.

A decent guide to see...a start

http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...er/species.htm
HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Sounds like you are after the look of Brazilian Cherry. Go to a flooring show room as suggested, and look at the sample sections. I doubt if the "old house" has this wood though, most likely a stain job. You will not find any of the exotics or specialty woods like chestnut at the big boxes unless you are looking for an engineered floor or perhaps a pre finished full thickness.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #7

Home Depot has a beautiful Jatoba (Brazillian cherry) engineered wood instock. It is under the Thomasville name brand.

Also they have a Santos Mahogany click together product. If it out of stock, be prepared to wait about a month for delivery. One customer waited from the end of March until last week when Roadway decided they had never actually received it from the vendor. We gave them the Thomasville instead.

They have many exotics by Bruce that have to be special ordered. They will take from 2 to 5 weeks.

Here is a website to help with the hardness ratings: http://www.countyfloors.com/about_janka.html

HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote