Different Self-stick Vinyl Tile Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Different self-stick vinyl tile question

Hi. Last year, I used a primer over a partcicle board floor which previously had a carpet over it. And I put down peel and stick tiles.

Unfortunately some water spilled (from a defrosting refrigerator in the room) and with a question of mold under tiles, I had to remove about a dozen of them. It is now dry, had been sprayed with vinegar then a disinfectant spray. But the floor is very sticky.

What should I do before putting down replacement tiles?

Russ

Advertisement

RussI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I know little about Peel & Stick tiles because I've never installed them. I've installed thousands of vinyl composition tiles, tho.

What I'd do is clean the dirt off the sticky area of the floor with paint thinner. Allow plenty of time for the particle board to dry and return to it's normal colour. Then stick down new tiles. Then, if it wuz me, I'd apply a few coats of a sealer intended for vinyl composition floor tiles to your floor. The sealer will both protect the tiles from stains and help somewhat to protect the particle board from water damage.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Quote:
What I'd do is clean the dirt off the sticky area of the floor with paint thinner.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DIYChatroom.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy, completeness or competency of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any home improvement task!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #4

Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

OH yeah!!!

You keep recommending people use volitile and explosive chemicals and solvents inside their homes and I'm gonna warn them about the bad advice they are getting.

Just keep it up!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You keep recommending people use volitile and explosive chemicals and solvents inside their homes and I'm gonna warn them about the bad advice they are getting.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Hi. Last year, I used a primer over a partcicle board floor which previously had a carpet over it. And I put down peel and stick tiles.
Your problem begins with the particle board, it's not suitable under layment for VCT you should have stayed with the carpet.
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #8

ZeroPunch:

He put down Peel & Stick tiles over particle board, not vinyl composition tiles. The painting with primer was supposed to keep the particle board dry in the event someone spills something on the floor.

It's a DIY project, and in this case, it probably won't outlast the pyramids.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

You really need to get to the root of the problem which is the particleboard. This type of subfloor has the tendency to chip apart therefore it is not a stable surface. I saw that someone said you should have stayed with the carpet...I disagree as this is not a good choice for an area that would have a defrosting refrigerator. MOST types of flooring are not recommended over particleboard. So, if you want a real solution, instead of a temporary fix, you may need to look at replacing the subfloor with lauan plywood and then installing a new type of flooring. If this is a kitchen consider tile, or for something that is soft underfoot, a high quality cork. You can start your search for flooring here http://www.findanyfloor.com

Advertisement

Adelia123 is offline   Reply With Quote