Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Differences in tile

Hello,
I'm new to tile. I have owned houses with tile in them but never picked my own tile... From what I've gathered online the differences between porcelain ceramic travertine etc is really just the looks and the finishes... My next question is are there serious differences between the ones I buy at home depot and lowes vs's a tile store? I've heard at home depot the only real difference is that home depot tiles sometimes are seconds so they vary in size but I can pick some that are exactly the same and return the ones that are abnormal sizes... Is there any other differences in the tile? I'm more worried abut durability and how long it'll last....
Thanks!

socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Differences in tile

There are definite quality differences to tile beyond appearance and finish. The type of clay used, how fine it was, how it was fired and so forth. And then there is the quality and types of glazes.

All of this will effect how the tile will wear. There is a big difference between box store tile and say nice custom flooring store tiles. Your other option is to work with an interior designer, who will most likely work on commission, that can gain you access to wholesale and designer showroom sources of whatever tile you want and probably for less than you would pay retail. Any time I have worked with an interior designer I saved lots of money over trying to navigate flooring and furnishings, etc. on my own.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (07-25-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Differences in tile

You can special order almost anything you can buy at a tile store at lowes or home depot. The do sell seconds in bulk those big stacks in the isle, you know 68cents a square. But good luck finding help.
Iflooru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

Differences in tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
Hello,
I'm new to tile. I have owned houses with tile in them but never picked my own tile... From what I've gathered online the differences between porcelain ceramic travertine etc is really just the looks and the finishes... My next question is are there serious differences between the ones I buy at home depot and lowes vs's a tile store? I've heard at home depot the only real difference is that home depot tiles sometimes are seconds so they vary in size but I can pick some that are exactly the same and return the ones that are abnormal sizes... Is there any other differences in the tile? I'm more worried abut durability and how long it'll last....
Thanks!
(From an amateur who has read a lot, not a pro. I hope others will correct me if I am wrong, or add to this.)

Tiles are rated primarily via their grade and their PEI rating. Grade 1 is the highest grade. PEI is the Porcelain and Enamel Institute and it rates durability. PEI 3 is good for floors in residential houses and PEI 4 is for commercial areas. Below 3 is for walls.

There are other characteristics such as water absorption (if it absorbs a certain amount it will crack if it freezes, so this really just determines whether it is suitable for outdoor areas).

You'll see that even the cheapest tiles from Home Depot and Lowes are Grade 1 and PEI 3, which is fine for your house. Porcelain tile can vary a lot but the primary difference over ceramic is that porcelain absorbs very little water and can usually be used outdoors, and they tend to be tougher. Some porcelain tiles also have consistent color through the tile, so if it chips, the same color shows.

To get consistent sizes and colors, you want to match the dye lot. There are variations between dye lots, but inside a dye lot they are pretty darn consistent. The dye lots are marked on the boxes, and if you order a large quantity they will get them all from the same dye lot.

Last edited by Amateuralex; 08-06-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amateuralex For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #5

Differences in tile

Thanks all,
The info has been extremely helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateuralex View Post
(From an amateur who has read a lot, not a pro. I hope others will correct me if I am wrong, or add to this.)

Tiles are rated primarily via their grade and their PEI rating. Grade 1 is the highest grade. PEI is the Porcelain and Enamel Institute and it rates durability. PEI 3 is good for floors in residential houses and PEI 4 is for commercial areas. Below 3 is for walls.

There are other characteristics such as water absorption (if it absorbs a certain amount it will crack if it freezes, so this really just determines whether it is suitable for outdoor areas).

You'll see that even the cheapest tiles from Home Depot and Lowes are Grade 1 and PEI 3, which is fine for your house. Porcelain tile can vary a lot but the primary difference over ceramic is that porcelain absorbs very little water and can usually be used outdoors, and they tend to be tougher. Some porcelain tiles also have consistent color through the tile, so if it chips, the same color shows.

To get consistent sizes and colors, you want to match the dye lot. There are variations between dye lots, but inside a dye lot they are pretty darn consistent. The dye lots are marked on the boxes, and if you order a large quantity they will get them all from the same dye lot.
socrates is offline   Reply With Quote