Demo Of Basement Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 852
Question

Demo of basement floor

Browsed through a little but couldnt' find specific topic on this.

So I have hired a demolition contractor to demo my basement, and part of it includes the flooring. right now i got carpet, vinyl and ceramic. the carpet and vinyl is pretty easy i think. but whats the best way to demo/remove ceramic tile from basement foundation floor? thanks for all your help!

Advertisement

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #2

Demo of basement floor

so...no flooring experts want to help out?

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Demo of basement floor

(A) I don't know

(B) If you don't already know, some old vinyl and some old floor adhesives contained asbestos. Just something else to read up on as you make your plans.

Best,
SteveEl
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Demo of basement floor

thanks for the reply. more stuff to worry about!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Demo of basement floor

It is a difficult job; you can do it without engaging the services of a professional and save a lot of money. The job needs at least two to three days to complete as removing floor tiles is a laborious job by using a chisel, utility knife and hammer you start by removing the grout which in turn makes it easy to remove the ceramic tiles. Ensure that you take safety precautions by wearing safety glasses and gloves when you are doing this work.

Once you have removed the grout, removing the ceramic tile becomes easy as all of the four sides of tiles are free. Locate the loose tiles, if any, by tapping on each tile. Loose tiles make the removal of all the ceramic tiles easy. Tap the free pieces with the help of a cold chisel and hammer. If the tiles do not get removed by just tapping use a drill with the proper bit and make holes in several parts of the tile by making these holes will divide the tile into smaller parts. Pry the smaller pieces using a hammer. Once you have removed the ceramic floor tiles, use a floor scraper to remove any remains of tile or adhesive residues left on the floor. You need not worry about any minor damage to the floor, as you can easily repair it when you will be installing new flooring. However, you should be careful that you do not cause any severe damage to the floor. Clean the area and remove all the dust and remains left after the removal of the ceramic floor tiles and your done.

So if you’re having second thoughts removing the ceramic floor tile which can be a difficult job for a do it yourselfer and a larger surface area to boot. It is recommended that you should hire a professional, as there are more chances of causing irreparable damage to the floor if you’re not carful. But like I said it can be done by yourself if you want to remove the tiles.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #6

Demo of basement floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
It is a difficult job; you can do it without engaging the services of a professional and save a lot of money. The job needs at least two to three days to complete as removing floor tiles is a laborious job by using a chisel, utility knife and hammer you start by removing the grout which in turn makes it easy to remove the ceramic tiles. Ensure that you take safety precautions by wearing safety glasses and gloves when you are doing this work.

Once you have removed the grout, removing the ceramic tile becomes easy as all of the four sides of tiles are free. Locate the loose tiles, if any, by tapping on each tile. Loose tiles make the removal of all the ceramic tiles easy. Tap the free pieces with the help of a cold chisel and hammer. If the tiles do not get removed by just tapping use a drill with the proper bit and make holes in several parts of the tile by making these holes will divide the tile into smaller parts. Pry the smaller pieces using a hammer. Once you have removed the ceramic floor tiles, use a floor scraper to remove any remains of tile or adhesive residues left on the floor. You need not worry about any minor damage to the floor, as you can easily repair it when you will be installing new flooring. However, you should be careful that you do not cause any severe damage to the floor. Clean the area and remove all the dust and remains left after the removal of the ceramic floor tiles and your done.

So if you’re having second thoughts removing the ceramic floor tile which can be a difficult job for a do it yourselfer and a larger surface area to boot. It is recommended that you should hire a professional, as there are more chances of causing irreparable damage to the floor if you’re not carful. But like I said it can be done by yourself if you want to remove the tiles.

thanks for the answer!!! its about 200sq ft or so, so i dont think i can tackle it by myself. i would leave the tile in place but some 30% of the tiles have black spots on them that look like mold to me. so i dont have much of a choice....i guessi can just bleach it but what if the tiles get black again?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #7

Demo of basement floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by federer View Post
thanks for the answer!!! its about 200sq ft or so, so i dont think i can tackle it by myself. i would leave the tile in place but some 30% of the tiles have black spots on them that look like mold to me. so i dont have much of a choice....i guessi can just bleach it but what if the tiles get black again?
The black spots that you see could be imperfections in the tile which are caused when the glaze misses the tile or dirt gets on the tile when it is being glazed. Manufacturers will separate the imperfect tiles into lower grade tiles and send them off to big box stores, tile discount outlets, etc. and other manufacturers do not separate the tile and the consumer gets a mixture of perfect and defective tiles. That’s why you get a good deal on some tiles as they are seconds not higher grade tiles.

To get quality domestic tile, look for the tile carton with “standard grade” written on the box. Imported tiles are not graded. Since tile is very durable and costly to install, you should try to select the highest quality tile. When you purchase tile it is a good idea to buy several extra pieces, since you may have to replace pieces that become damaged. After a few years the tile you purchased may be discontinued. In addition, you can never completely match the first dye lot colors.

Hope this helps…
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
federer (10-19-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Demo of basement floor

Chipping guns with flat blades are how most demo companies do it.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #9

Demo of basement floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
The black spots that you see could be imperfections in the tile which are caused when the glaze misses the tile or dirt gets on the tile when it is being glazed. Manufacturers will separate the imperfect tiles into lower grade tiles and send them off to big box stores, tile discount outlets, etc. and other manufacturers do not separate the tile and the consumer gets a mixture of perfect and defective tiles. That’s why you get a good deal on some tiles as they are seconds not higher grade tiles.

To get quality domestic tile, look for the tile carton with “standard grade” written on the box. Imported tiles are not graded. Since tile is very durable and costly to install, you should try to select the highest quality tile. When you purchase tile it is a good idea to buy several extra pieces, since you may have to replace pieces that become damaged. After a few years the tile you purchased may be discontinued. In addition, you can never completely match the first dye lot colors.

Hope this helps…
thanks. let me attach a pic for better reference!
[img]
[/img]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38950481@N02/5093556904/#/photos/38950481@N02/5093556904/lightbox/

Last edited by federer; 10-19-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #10

Demo of basement floor

ughhh it wont let me insert the pic
Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #11

Demo of basement floor

Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #12

Demo of basement floor

this is close up-is this mold???
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #13

Demo of basement floor

Yeah that looks like black mold to me. You can try this; Fill a spray bottle with water and 1 tbsp. baking soda. Give the bottle a few shakes to thoroughly mix the solution and Spray the area to be cleaned with the baking soda solution. Once you sprayed the solution scrub the area using a scrubbing brush to remove the mold from the tile thenrinse the scrubbed area thoroughly and its clean from mold spray the area again with the baking soda solution and let dry. Now keep area free of moister and well ventilated to prevent mold from returning.
federer (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #14

Demo of basement floor

thanks for the fast reply! now do you think bleach instead of baking soda would be better?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #15

Demo of basement floor

Yeah you can apply bleach but first wash the floor with a mild detergent solution, such as laundry detergent and warm water. Allow the floor to dry. Then wipe with a solution of 1/4 cup bleach to one gallon of water. Wait 20 minutes and repeat. Wait another 20 minutes then apply a borate-based detergent solution and don't rinse. This will help prevent mold from growing again. A borate-based laundry or dish washer detergent has "borate" listed on the ingredients label.

You can use either or of the two methods

Advertisement

Last edited by epson; 10-19-2010 at 01:59 AM.
federer (10-19-2010)