DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

delicate adhesive removal

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jimmyfunk 
#1 ·
I'm a newbie here and I've searched the archives and posts for an answer to this specific question and haven't found anything. I'm wanting to remove some linoleum that is covering my hardwood flooring in the dining room. The hardwood is already finished and looks like it may be in excellent shape. The problem is that the previous owner used a very strong adhesive to attach the linoleum to the hardwood floor. My question is this: Is it possible to remove the adhesive without damaging the already finished hardwood flooring? If I can complete the project without a refinish job it would save lots of time and money. Any advice?

#2 ·
I am not a flooring expert, but, if the adhesive is as strong as you stated, it will probably mean at least a light sanding after removal. The finish on the hardwood will most likely be ruined. Good luck with your project.

#7 ·
it appears as though I may have found a solution... I've read on a few other websites that some people have had success using boiling water to liquify the adhesive and then simply mopped it up... leaving the hardwood finish unharmed. While I'm still skeptical I'm going to give this a shot since it seems like the least intrusive idea for preserving the finish.

#8 ·
I have oak floors that were finished with shellac.

Scraping was not an option, I had a small area where the lino was overlapped on the oak flooring.

I used a heat gun on the lowest setting and a plastic scraper. It does not take much heat to soften the adhesive and allow you to scrape it off.

Again the lowest heat setting, 6-8" above the area, slowly and carefully remove the adhesive.

Worked for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.