Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck sanding

I have a 16 x 12 deck made from pressure treated lumber. Is it OK to rent a sander and get this thing looking acceptable. Is there a certain type of sander to look for? I've heard they are hard to control. Don't want it to end up looking worse.

Thanks

paulny20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Deck sanding

It's all in what you think you can handle. If you've never used an industrial drum or disk sander then you are certainly taking a risk. If I were you, the first thing I would do is get a light pressure washer and remove all the dirt and crud. There's no point in sanding off dirt. After it dries you can tell how much real sanding you need to do. You may be able to handle it with a good heavy duty half sheet sander or a hand held belt sander, rather than risk destruction with an industrial unit.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Deck sanding

Oh and by the way, the chemicals used to treat lumber contain a bunch of things that your body doesn't like, such as chromium and arsenic. Some of this stuff can absorb through the skin, so wear a good quality respirator when you sand along with long sleeve shirt, long pants, gloves, etc.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote