Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #1

Share |

Deck flooring recommendation needed

We just bought a fairly new house with an enclosed screened porch. The porch is part of an elevated treated wood deck on the back of the house. The problem is we are having wasps enter the porch via the joints in the floor. I am allergic to bee stings so this is a big problem for me. On average we probably get one to two a day. We do not want to put in an indoor/outdoor carpet. We want something that can get wet from blowing rains and is fairly easy to clean and looks nice. We thought about putting screens under the floor over the joints but this will just create a place for debris to form and would also be a pain to install and seal on the ends. Any ideas on something to overlay this porch with that will look good and be fairly easy to maintain? The deck is made of treated 2 x 6 boards. The doors are not a problem for adding a flooring material. When the temperatures are nice, we spend a lot of time on the porch. The porch is around 200 square feet.
tinkertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Why not call an exterminator to rid you of the wasps?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Not so new

...other than extermination, you took away the only other real options. If it were mine I'd do an indoor/outdoor carpet then roll it up and store for the winter.

...another thought...screen "panels" could be made for the bottom. Make them removable so they can be cleaned.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #4

Exterminators have had some success but the problem still persists. We live on the water in the country and the wasps seem to be all around here. The screened panels might work but a new good looking floor is preferable. Any ideas on what that could be?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Not so new

...composite decking or tile. Both high end choices. The tile may require additional deck engineering but is possible.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

This may sound weird but what about the rattan/woven reed/palm.bamboo strand sort of flooring you find in the tropics. It is light, it looks ok but you might only get a season or two out of it. It is dirt cheap though. You might look into floating floor cork tiles too. The company I spec has them in all colors and I use them a lot in interiors. The box store stuff is crap so don't waste your money. Might be overkill for you screen space but I don't know what else to suggest. Bamboo too I guess but in both cases you are approaching hardwood costs.

I wonder how a couple layers of plain cork underlay for floors might look and work? At least cork breathes and indoor/outdoor will not.

Let me think outside the box about flooring I remember from the tropics and I will post sources if I find anything.

Place must be wonderful if you put up with insects that could potentially kill you? EpiPen handy at all times I hope?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

Floating cork is not a good choice. The cork is water proof but the core is not. If you can find a good water resistant underlayment you could use 12 x 12 cork tiles with a water proof glue. If you choose to use a floating cork you will have to put silicone caulk around all edges and put 1 or 2 coats of poly over it to seal the seams.

Last edited by woodman58; 04-17-2011 at 07:43 AM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #8

Yeah! I also suggest that you get rid of wasps instead of just preventing it coming inside your house. I saw this site and it has a very good tip in getting rid of wasps. http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-wasps.htm
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Lightbulb

I have given this some thought and have come up with a possible solution and I would like some input as to whether this will work. I really do not want to install composite flooring as I do not like it. I have been thinking of installing 1/2" cement board to the 2 x 6 planks and applying either porcelain, ceramic, or cork flooring using a waterproof bonding agent. Has anyone got any advice on doing this?