Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |

debbiedoityour

We have hardwood floors in most of the rooms in our house. We're on a limited budget, so can't afford to rent or buy a buffer/sander. Is the only alternative hand sanding? I'm disabled, with a bad back, so on my knees sanding for hours, sounds uninviting, and painful to say the least. What about liquids used for sanding? Do they work on floors well? I have a floormate, but it doesn't seem to really clean the deep stains on the floor.

Last edited by debbiedoityour; 06-09-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: New at this
debbiedoityour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #2

debbiedoityour

Although I am no expert, I have refinished a hardwood floor in a 10x10 bedroom. I rented a floor sander, and used a few different sandpaper grits, and it took me roughly 5 hours, slpit between two days. I was in no rush and took my time. I used the sander for the larger areas and came back to the perimeter of the room with a hand held sander and did them slowly. I could only imagine how difficult, back breaking, and time consuming it would be to do it all by hand, even with the held of any product. You need to completely remove a layer of wood in order to expose a clean surface.

I suggest you wait, and either rent a sander, or have someone refinish the floors for you. It is a back breaking job, and it you already have back problems, I would not suggest attempting it by hand.

Hope this helps.

TimboSlice is offline   Reply With Quote