Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Darkening Urethaned hardwood

I recently put in some stairs with white risers and stringers and hardwood threads. I put 3 coats of polyurethane on the treads before I installed them. My problem is they are not dark enough to match the floor. How do I make them darker? Any suggestions would be appriciated.
Not Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Hardwood Floor Pro

You could have some stain base added to some polyurethane so that another coat would be darker. You would need to get the coat very smooth so it doesn't look blotchy or painted. Then you need at least one coat of clear to seal the dark coat in, or it will wear through very quickly.
Hardwood Flooring Orlando
flooryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #3

The best way is to remove the urethane...sand it off...apply a wiping stain that matches your needs then apply a few coats of varethane. Scuff sand with 600 grit, lightly between coats.
Conrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Hardwood Floor Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrads View Post
The best way is to remove the urethane...sand it off...apply a wiping stain that matches your needs then apply a few coats of varethane. Scuff sand with 600 grit, lightly between coats.
Sorry, I didn't suggest sanding them down and starting over because it was the obvious answer, and surely was already dismissed based on the amount of work required.
I have darkened stairs the way I described above before, and it does work.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #5

Oh ya. That is the lazy way out. I don't mind doing a little extra in my own home. Allways best to remove and start over with finishes. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Hardwood Floor Pro

Wow, I just got here and I already know who the troublemakers are lol.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flooryou View Post
Sorry, I didn't suggest sanding them down and starting over because it was the obvious answer, and surely was already dismissed based on the amount of work required.
I have darkened stairs the way I described above before, and it does work.

I didn't suggest it because I knew I would get the very response you did.

I have added stain to my finish on quite a few occasions when the stain job was just a tad light, or I was trying to blend imperfections in a refinished floor. I've had good results when the goal was to just darken one or 2 shades. It's not the fix for heavy darkening.

Conrads, you ever heard of Minwax polyshades? It's a commercial version of what flooryou suggested. Whether you believe it or not, it can be a solution to a problem.

The floors I've added stain to the finish on have had no more wear issues than floors I finish with straight poly.

In the summer, my wife & I average 3 floors a week & have been doing this for 15 years. Not many flooring problems we haven't experienced.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #8

Wow..watch the egos guys..I was only trying to help...I took a finishing coarse in college....I won't be returning to this forum..way too many egos in here...good luck
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrads View Post
Wow..watch the egos guys..I was only trying to help...I took a finishing coarse in college....I won't be returning to this forum..way too many egos in here...good luck
No ego here. Just sharing my experience & qualifying why I'm qualified to give advice on this subject.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Hardwood Floor Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
No ego here. Just sharing my experience & qualifying why I'm qualified to give advice on this subject.
Respect