Dark Blotches On Carpet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Dark blotches on carpet

I've got a light colored berber carpet in one of the rooms of the lower level of my bi-level. I'm not sure if there's padding under it or straight on the concrete.

We don't use the room very often, but I was down there the other day, and noticed some big discolored blotches at various spots around the room that are darker than the carpet.

My assumption is that it's probably either water damage from water leaching from the concrete (spots aren't currently wet), or mold or mildew growing underneath.

The room is well ventilated and not closed off. There's no musty or mildewy smell that I notice, just the dark blotches. For all I know, they've been there since we moved in, but I don't recall seeing them previously (not that I was really looking).

Wanted to see if anyone had seen anything like this and had any ideas before I go disturbing it or pulling up the carpet to check on it as I don't want to spread if it's mold, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement

tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

Dark blotches on carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigereye View Post
My assumption is that it's probably either water damage from water leaching from the concrete (spots aren't currently wet), or mold or mildew growing underneath.

The room is well ventilated and not closed off. There's no musty or mildewy smell that I notice, just the dark blotches. For all I know, they've been there since we moved in, but I don't recall seeing them previously (not that I was really looking).
If it's not wet, and no musty smell, I wouldn't sweat it, especially since you aren't sure if it was always there. You sould make a point to go walk around on it in barefeet after the next couple heavy rains to see if there is any moisture.

If it were me I'd rent a carpet cleaner and try to get the stain out. if it comes back then you'll know somethings going on

Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 103

Dark blotches on carpet

Do you have any floor drains down there under that carpet? I've seen that in a house or two.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #4

Dark blotches on carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
Do you have any floor drains down there under that carpet? I've seen that in a house or two.
There's not a drain under the carpet, but there is one on the other side of the wall. It has been known to backup in the past, but the blotches are pretty evenly distributed around the room, and not localized near the drain.
tigereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 103

Dark blotches on carpet

Hmm...any wanderers, vagrants, or squatters?
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Dark blotches on carpet

You might have a sweating concrete floor problem. This may occur when there isn't a moisture barrier between the ground and the concrete. Moisture from under the ground wicks up through the porous concrete also another cause of sweating concrete is when the humidity level has become so dense that it causes condensation as the cool concrete comes in contact with warm moist air. The moisture turns from a gas to a liquid and pools on the floor. Prevention is difficult, but not impossible.

If you have this problem then this is what you have to do; remove the carpet vacuum and clean your concrete floor. Cleaning with a bucket of cleaner and a stiff broom works well to remove all spots. You might need to use an acid to remove the residue from the concrete. Acid will also make the concrete absorbent so there will be a good bond between the coating and the concrete. Make sure you clean the concrete well as proper cleaning is the most important step when applying a sealer. If your floor is not properly cleaned, your sealer will flake off of the concrete. Be sure to allow your floor to dry completely before you apply the sealer.

Now that your floor is clean and dry measure your floor. You will need to know the size of your floor to be able to purchase the proper amount of sealer. Many of the sealers available for general public application are packaged in 1-gallon containers. Your best results will come if you take the time to read the packaging prior to purchase. Also read the recommendations on the packaging prior to purchasing a sealer. Some products may not give the results you need, so read the instructions carefully. Floor sealers come with different limitations, so the sealer you purchase should be designed to be moisture resistant. Sealers found at local home improvement stores are usually packaged with a primer and top coat.

Now that you have your primer apply the primer and top coat with a paint roller on an extension handle. Allow the entire recommended length of dry time before using your floor. If the sealer gives a range of a few hours to overnight, allow the maximum time of overnight. This will ensure there are no uncured areas and you will have a well sealed floor with no more problems we hope.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
floor_whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

Dark blotches on carpet

just put furniture on top of the spots....and worry about it later

Advertisement

Aaroncarpet is offline   Reply With Quote