Damaged Section Of Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Damaged Section of Hardwood

My wife and I decided the other day to begin the process of restoring the hardwood in an unused upstairs bedroom in our house. We started by pulling off one corner to check the condition of the floor and to see if the floor was thick enough to handle a sanding. Everything looked good (except for an abundance of paint splattering), so the next day pulled the rest of the carpet and padding off the floor, only to find this trouble spot on the other side of the room. At first we were thinking this would be a great spot for an area rug, but now we're starting to think that it wouldn't be good to do all that work refinishing the wood only to leave an eyesore like that as-is. I'm wondering how much work ($$) would be involved in having this trouble spot repaired by a professional, since I don't think I could do this sort of thing myself. Could the matching wood from the closet in that room be harvested in some way or will new board need to be used in the replacement. If anybody has any experience with this sort of thing, some advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Advertisement

jelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
pro flooring installer

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to floorman Send a message via Yahoo to floorman

See if you can get someone to identify the species of the wood (looks like red oak from here)but too hard to tell.If the species is available then you can have them replaced and then sand and finish the rest of the floor.
Otherwise if you have noe extra some of that may come out but probably not all especially if a pet stain,and pulling some out of the closet would then leave you short there but could be done i think

Advertisement

floorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like the right advice to me.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

looks like maybe a heat spot?

It looks like it is not an Oak. Possibly some kind of Brazillian Cherry or an African species.
It may be that it is not stained, but the color goes all the way thru the wood.
Maybe that will be helpful.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for all the advice! Actually the closet in that room runs the entire length of the room. If we pulled planks out of the closet they would actually have to be trimmed down to replace those boards with the bad spots. I just wasn't sure if you can pull up hardwood without destroying it. On the websites I've seen for replacing indivicual planks of hardwood hardwood, it seems like the hardwood is always removed by chiseling it out in pieces and then replaced with a brand new board.
jelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
Middle aged floor guy

It is Douglas Fir and that looks like a p-p stain from a beloved aminal. It probably won't sand out. The wood is pretty old (at least 60 years) but you should be able to find some at a vintage building recycler store. Where are you located at????
Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
Middle aged floor guy

You could trail roughing it off. You just might be able to sand some of it out. Don't work hard at it though. If it doesn't fade substantially after the first sanding, replacement with vinatage wood is the best option.

Advertisement

Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote