Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

Share |

damage to bathroom sub floors

Got a thread started in the plumbing section as i had a toilet leak and rot the 1/4 in ply and 3/4 inch ply sub floor. I removed top layer of ply and second layer of 3/4 needs to go as well. When I re floor how much ply should I put under the cement rock to support 13 inch ceramic tile flooring in a 9x5 upstairs bathroom?Thanks in advance..a newbie

pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Pieman,

Quote:
When I re floor how much ply should I put under the cement rock to support 13 inch ceramic tile
You'll need to replace the bad spots with 3/4", just like what you remove. How large an areas will you be removing? It may be enough enough, but another layer over the top would make it stiffer. No 1/4" though, 3/8" or thicker only.

What cement rock..........er...er...concrete board are you considering?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

thanks for the reply jazz...Im going to pull the entire sub down to the beams and start from scratch. Can you lay out excatly what you would do down to screw size and placement? Thanks in advance
pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

to lay the new sub floor, I would liquid nails it then screw it about every 8in or so. Then you ensure no squeaks and a nice solid floor. IF you want to raise the floor back up do it with 1/4 rock then tile on that. Don't tile right on the plywood or you will be kicking yourself in 6 years when your wife wants a new bathroom LOL.
proremodel is offline   Reply With Quote