Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #1

Share |

Cutting 35" Porcelain tiles?

Hello we are new here, but need urgent help of how to cut 35" long Porcelain tiles. Its the rip cut that will be 35" long.
We have looked at wet saws that cost $900 or so, but are trying to get around it for less, as its the maximum of 10 tiles we need to cut that length. Any ideas or tips?
thanks

ThomasPernille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
DIY staff

What you need is a 'bridge saw' -A big one.
You should be able to rent a 36" bridge saw,make a few calls.

Google Bridge saws ,You will find a few pictures.

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
long island, NY

what? you shop at porcelanosa too? yeah, those 35" porcelain tiles are a pain. since we intend to do several more floors, we actually bought one of those bridge saw beasts. Definitely rent a pro-quality brige saw. (My father in-law didn't believe me when I said an $$$ saw was required. He took our sample tile and tried to cut it with a small saw (7" blade). Wasn't pretty!)
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 AM   #4

Find a tile+natural stone supplier - they'll do it for you...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

Not many bridge saws will even handle a 35" tile.

Angle grinder and diamond blade, score the tile, place a nail under each end of the scored cut and snap them suckers.

This tool will work also.

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...4Pa38Ta38Sbh50
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

Yeah. They look great, but we just thought it was great and easy that we could use fewer tiles because of their size. Of course, at that time we didn't have a clue it would be difficult to cut and hang them! Oh well. How did yours turn out? Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #7

I just looked at the Felker you recommended. Do you know anything about the Alpha aws-125? It has a guide rail and looks like it can make very straight cuts. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
long island, NY

our big-tile bathroom is about to be demo'ed on friday... (our tile order only was delivered this monday). My father-in-law is going to help us. I think it will take a few weekends to get all of this done. Frankly, I'd be happy to just have the entire room demo'ed by the end of this weekend.

"Huge tile" issues didn't occur to us either until after we placed the order. I'm hoping it all turns out well. Good luck with your project!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
DIY staff

As a professional tile setter I have only set the GIANT tiles twice.

The floor must be absolutely flat and have virtually no movement.

This means no wood framed floors,and extra time and money to level a concrete slab prior to installing the tiles into a very deep bed of mud.

Most people select a different tile due to the extra work and costs involved with the GIANTS.

I have never seen a wood floor that was stable enough throughout the year,to take a tile installation of any tile over 14x14.

I didn't post this to spoil your day.Just to help you all avoid a floor failure.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
long island, NY

that is some VERY good info we'll keep in mind when we pick out tiles for our upstairs bathrooms.....
Old 11-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #11

Would 18" tiles fit under the category of giant? Are they hard to work with? This would be for a floor and not a wall. It will have ditra under it which helps for shifting and moving.

Last edited by ingeborgdot; 11-02-2009 at 01:39 PM.
ingeborgdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
I have never seen a wood floor that was stable enough throughout the year,to take a tile installation of any tile over 14x14.
That's strange, I can set any size tile or stone over a properly prepared floor over wood.

What's the problem?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
long island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&D Tile View Post
That's strange, I can set any size tile or stone over a properly prepared floor over wood.

What's the problem?
I'm getting confused.

I love large porcelain and stone tiles... and initially, would have loved to have huge 24" by 24" in our upstairs bathrooms (wood-frame house with plywood subflooring). I'm a total tile newbie.

What is the ideal subfloor for a large tile floor in that situation? (what would you put on top of the plywood to create a tile-friendly surface?)
Old 11-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #14

The main floor parameter that changes with the increasing size of the tile is the deflection limit of the floor itself, all other things being equal...so for in your example of a 24"x24" tile, the deflection of the floor would have to meet the L/720 limit, plus have control joints etc. And to get that (L/720 deflection limit) you need a thick subfloor, which in turn requires full evaluation of your floor joists.

To put that into perspective, a floor of a house built to minimum code these days, would not even allow basic 12"x12" (L/360) ceramic floor installation and would be considered good for carpet only...so even the basic tile floor needs work in most house I see today. Goes to show you...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #15

diy'er on LI, what is it you want to install, stone or the porcelain tile?

What size joists, spacing and unsupported span of them do you have where this tile or stone is going?

Tags
35", bathroom, porcelain tiles, rip cut, tile cutter