Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Curing Caulk in Shower Stall

I have replaced the caulk in my custom tiled-in shower stall, specifically where the floor meets the walls. I used Polyblend brand; I had the impression this is a good quality caulk, appropriate for the purpose. Also it should match my antique white grout. I am concerned a bit since I found that Home Depot sells this brand; I originally got it from a local tile shop. Does this mean it is a crappy product? Due to the size of the crevice, and its depth, it is curing slowly. I am trying to hurry it up. After it was still soft after a few days, I am using a space heater directed at the seam. After 6 days (website says a day should be enough) it is still soft enough to show the impression of my fingernail. It has skinned over. The opinion has been voiced that the heater will slow down the curing. What do I do??????????

Last edited by aprilskitchen; 01-02-2012 at 05:14 PM.
aprilskitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

I bet the reason it's not drying is because the deck mud is wet. Most showers are not built correctly causing a. the grout/caulk to mold and/or crack. b. makes a proper repair more difficult cuz the deck mud and often the wall substrate are wet or damp resulting in the problem you're having.

You may have to wait longer or better yet remove the caulk so it'll dry faster. Even then it can take a long time depending on how wet the substrate it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #3

I forgot to mention. The shower is a nine year old installation.
aprilskitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
DIY staff

I'm going to post a link to building a shower pan Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

This should help you understand what might be causing the moisture that is keeping the caulk from drying--

If the liner is installed incorrectly (or the drain)the deck mud (base for the floor tile) might be soaking in water that can not make it to the drain.---Mike---