Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #1

Share |

crucial error

i'm glad this forum is more or less anonymous.
My tile floor turn out pretty well. Installed radiant heat underneath..yea! We are at the end of the project and i go to install the thermostat; with all of the other crap that was happening at the same the tile was being set... we managed to NOT install the thermostat wire with the rest of the wiring. OOPS. So now a guy needs (me) needs to fish the thermo wire down the wall and into the floor. Here is the question. What is the best/safest method for removing this one 12x12 ceramic tile that is set on concrete with radiant wire underneath? I'm thinking that scaping the grout and trying to pry the tile up in pieces? My wife says "it will be OK." I feel this screw-up is wrought with disaster. help. The good news is this tile is atleast in a very conspicous spot.
hayduke.klr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #2

crucial error

First off, if your wife says its okay, Your Golden! but yes it would seem that you could break up that tile and go from there. I'd try a chisel and hammer, knowing wire is under neath, go easy. As for how it happened, someone on here has in his signature about if we haven't made a mistake we aren't living, good luck and congrats on your new floor.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Tileguy

crucial error

hayduke,
YOU ARE ASKING FOR TROUBLE.

How about you gently remove the grout in a grout line and install the probe in that channel then regrout.?

The probe doesn't have to be under a tile, it only needs to be somewhere in the thermal mass.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote