Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Share |

Creaky floors under carpet

Hi,

I have a carpeted upstairs bedroom that is right above the family room that is driving me nuts. If people walk around upstairs, sometimes loud creaks and squeaks can be heard downstairs. It's really driving me nuts, and I would like to do something about it. It's probably going to get better in the summer when it is more humid, but probably not by much.

Now I found this product online: http://www.123itsdone.com/squeeeeek-no-more-kit.html Looks exactly like what I need, and it's something I can probably do myself.

Now my questions:
- I definitely don't want to drill holes if I have hardwood floors under the carpet. I doubt I do, but is there a good way to check without ripping out all the carpets? I lifted up the carpet around the vent holes and I only see (some whitish looking?) floor boards there, I assume that is a good sign I don't have hardwood floors, just floor boards.

- Does anybody have any experience with this product? My floors seem to be more creaky rather than squeaky, but fixing the floor boards should also address the creaks, right?

- Is there any chance I can make it worse instead of better with this DIY approach?

Thanks everybody

konradsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

I am actually getting ready to use that very product on the recommendation of a friend. He said to find his floor joists he went near the wall and started to pound in a finish nail until he hit one. He then found the end of the joist and ran a string between the nails...He said it worked like a champ so I am hoping for the same

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonreck71 View Post
I am actually getting ready to use that very product on the recommendation of a friend. He said to find his floor joists he went near the wall and started to pound in a finish nail until he hit one. He then found the end of the joist and ran a string between the nails...He said it worked like a champ so I am hoping for the same
Great! Please come back and share your tips/experiences.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

I will do that...In fact I think I will be tackling that project in the coming weeks
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #5

If you want to do this right, first we need to know what's under the carpet, it's something white is not going to help.
Those screws would only work if you happen to hit a floor joist in my opinion. And it's not likly to happen going through the carpet.
If it was my floor I'd pull the carpet and flip it back and add screws along the floor joist ever 6", then go back and install them between the floor joist. Flip the carpet back and stretch it back in place. Do not know how to do it and carpet company can do it for you. Should only take them an hour to do it.
If there's just partical board under the carpet, it's trash. It it get wet one time and it turns to oatmeal, it expands and contracts a lot even with a change in the humity in the air, and will not hold nails or screws worth a darn.
Your going to have One of these types of sub flooring under that carpet.
Partical board = will look like hardened up oatmeal
CDX = looks like plywood but will be full of knots, may even have unfilled knot holes.
OSB = looks like compressed wood chips.
Advantec = looks almost like OSB but a much denser material, smooth surface and will say Advantec right on it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you want to do this right, first we need to know what's under the carpet, it's something white is not going to help.
Those screws would only work if you happen to hit a floor joist in my opinion. And it's not likly to happen going through the carpet.
If it was my floor I'd pull the carpet and flip it back and add screws along the floor joist ever 6", then go back and install them between the floor joist. Flip the carpet back and stretch it back in place. Do not know how to do it and carpet company can do it for you. Should only take them an hour to do it.
If there's just partical board under the carpet, it's trash. It it get wet one time and it turns to oatmeal, it expands and contracts a lot even with a change in the humity in the air, and will not hold nails or screws worth a darn.
Your going to have One of these types of sub flooring under that carpet.
Partical board = will look like hardened up oatmeal
CDX = looks like plywood but will be full of knots, may even have unfilled knot holes.
OSB = looks like compressed wood chips.
Advantec = looks almost like OSB but a much denser material, smooth surface and will say Advantec right on it.

I have OSB and my problem is the builder nailed it down...I have pictures of the framed up room so I know I can locate the floor joist and the screws should go at least 2-3 inches into the joist...When I eventually re carpet I will do it "right" but for the mean time I think this will work
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonreck71 View Post
I have OSB and my problem is the builder nailed it down...I have pictures of the framed up room so I know I can locate the floor joist and the screws should go at least 2-3 inches into the joist...When I eventually re carpet I will do it "right" but for the mean time I think this will work
My house was built in 1981. I don't know what was kind of subflooring was prevalent at that time. I may try to see if I can find an area that I can pull up so that I can maybe snatch a picture.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you watch the video, they include a tool that is supposed to help find the floor joists.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #9

If there's 1/4 round in place remove it with a flat bar.
Go to a corner and use a pair of plyers and just clamp the carpet and pull it back. it will just pop right back when your done.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote