Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Crazy?....but how do I install hardwood flooring on wall

This may sound wild, but I want to install hardwood flooring on the wall in a very small area.

I was considering installing the regular flooring that I would stain afterwards. I would like to install the prefinished type but I don't want the look of the small groove inbetween the strips.

So I thought that this type of flooring would give me a better look.

The wall is drywalled presently. How would adhere it to the wall?
Would I use small nails and nail at every stud point?

Thanks.

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,450

Not crazy at all, this is done all the time.

Assuming you want the boards either horizontal or diagonal...

Locate the studs and mark each one top to bottom. Use construction adhesive on each flooring board and also nail each flooring board to each stud.

If the flooring boards are to be installed vertically...you will have to "fir-out" the wall nailing 1X2's to the studs in a horizontal fashion (16" on center) and then nailing the flooring boards to the firring.

Piece-O-Cake!

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #3

Thanks Bud!
What you explained is exactly what I was going to do. I am going to place them horizontally.

One more question, if you don't mind. Do I use those small finishing nails, and then sink them into the floor boards? If this is the way I should do it, then what do I use to cover the hole? Is it that wood putty stuff?

Thanks a lot for your help. You are real doll.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Tileguy

If you are using "full dimension" true-hardwood (oak, cherry, maple, etc.) you may want to predrill the holes to the size of the nail shaft. Drill only through the flooring material, not into the wallboard or stud. Use a #8 finish nail, the nail head will hold the wood. I assume you will also be gluing the boards.

The best way to drill the holes in my experience is to clip the head off of one of the nails and mount it in a high-speed drill motor. Using the nail for a drill bit you can burn-your-way through the wood and make a nice snug hole for the coming nail. This way the resistance will be Nil through the hardwood but there will still be holding friction in the wood. The nail will then also "take" through the wallboard and into the stud.

There are "color putties" available to mask the holes. The putty will still show the holes locations so BE NEAT when installing the nails. This is one of those jobs where you will be graded on your penmanship.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

you should install the nails in the edge of the wood angled into the stud. (just like you would if installing on the floor). This will prevent any show of nails at all with the exception of the very bottom one where you should nail it near the bottom and into the edge on top. A base moulding would cover up the nail in the face at the bottom.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
If you are using "full dimension" true-hardwood (oak, cherry, maple, etc.) you may want to predrill the holes to the size of the nail shaft. Drill only through the flooring material, not into the wallboard or stud. Use a #8 finish nail, the nail head will hold the wood. I assume you will also be gluing the boards.

The best way to drill the holes in my experience is to clip the head off of one of the nails and mount it in a high-speed drill motor. Using the nail for a drill bit you can burn-your-way through the wood and make a nice snug hole for the coming nail. This way the resistance will be Nil through the hardwood but there will still be holding friction in the wood. The nail will then also "take" through the wallboard and into the stud.

There are "color putties" available to mask the holes. The putty will still show the holes locations so BE NEAT when installing the nails. This is one of those jobs where you will be graded on your penmanship.
I have very good penmanship.
What a great idea of putting the nail on the drill as a bit. I will try that.

One more thing, I assume I have to sink the holes, with my little "thingy sinker" as I would when installing moulding?

Thanks very much once again, and believe it or not, I understand your explanation.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #7

.......and yes, I am gluing the boards.bg
Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #8

Boy, I have so many questions.....

How would I treat an outside corner when putting in the wood?
Could I put a piece of trim and but the floor boards against it?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Tileguy

....or, cap it with outside corner molding.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Maybe this is redundant, but it isn't clear to me that you're understanding where the nails go. If using tongue and groove flooring, you install them groove-down, and work your way up, nailing each board only through the tounge, diagonally. That way each board it held on the bottom by it's groove engaging the tongue of the previous board, and held on the top by a blind nail (the nail is covered by the next board's groove.

Outside corners could be mitered, nailed and glued, or (much simpler) covered with a corner molding.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
Maybe this is redundant, but it isn't clear to me that you're understanding where the nails go. If using tongue and groove flooring, you install them groove-down, and work your way up, nailing each board only through the tounge, diagonally. That way each board it held on the bottom by it's groove engaging the tongue of the previous board, and held on the top by a blind nail (the nail is covered by the next board's groove.

Outside corners could be mitered, nailed and glued, or (much simpler) covered with a corner molding.
well, by the advice of using putty, it is obvious this is not the intended method. I gave up awhile back since the OP did not seem interested in hidden nails.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Tileguy

May be my fault. I assumed the OP knew to nail through the tongue and when the question was asked about putty it didn't occur to me they were intending to face-nail. I just tried to answer the putty question.

My bad, maybe.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #13

Sorry, for not making myself clear, I think.....

I understand the tongue and groove thing, because I have them in my home on the floor which are three quarter inch pre finished hardwood, and they are nailed and then hidden as stated by natehanson.

What I am looking for is a flat finish to the wall. I don't want to use the prefinished flooring as that has a bevelled edge. So I assume that the flooring that has no bevelled edge is the one that I would have to nail down.

I may be wrong with this but let me know.

Nap===I am very interested in hiding the nails, its the bevelled edge that I don't want.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Pre-finished or unfinished - solid 3/4" hardwood flooring is installed the same way. If you want a perfectly flat finished floor, install unfinished T&G flooring, blind-nailing it as discussed above, and then sand the walls to get the boards even, and finish after sanding. The sanding step will be a bit tedious, because you're going to have to do it with a hand-held RO sander, but if the area isn't to large, you can do it.

Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Sorry, for not making myself clear, I think.....

I understand the tongue and groove thing, because I have them in my home on the floor which are three quarter inch pre finished hardwood, and they are nailed and then hidden as stated by natehanson.

What I am looking for is a flat finish to the wall. I don't want to use the prefinished flooring as that has a bevelled edge. So I assume that the flooring that has no bevelled edge is the one that I would have to nail down.

I may be wrong with this but let me know.

Nap===I am very interested in hiding the nails, its the bevelled edge that I don't want.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

what Nate said.

Sorry for being testy but when I suggested the blind nailing and it was simply overlooked, I figured it was not of interest. I guess I saw what was happeing in the post when you didn't and Bud misunderstood what was happening.

No big deal. I was simply picturing this wall with all these exposed nails in it and cringing but hey, if that was what you wanted, it's your wall. Glad to see this got corrected before you started the wall.

You hadn't started the wall yet, right?