DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cracks in concrete slab

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Zero Punch 
#1 ·
I will be installing new flooring in the first floor of my house and noticed that there are long cracks in the concrete slab foundation. What is recommended for treating this before the new floor is installed?

Thanks

#2 ·
cracks are normal in concrete as long as the gap is not too thick and no leak.... I mean real thick.... to help psycologoically, you can apply those concrete filler... I doubt it really help anything physically besides your psycological comfort factor, this thing is at least better than those grout filler for tiling as at least you can visually see them filling up the gap... those grout filler, you can neither see them, feel them or taste them....

#4 ·
cracks aren't 'normal',,, rather they're an indication someone didn't do the job properly,,, if inside, you're probably ok as there isn't much of a swing in temp which would change the dimensions of the conc,,, just be sure your flooring can 'bridge' the crk & not reflect it,,, h/dlowe'sacehdwe carries patching acrylic-modified mtls which work well for the avg. h/o

#5 ·
Cracks are normal - it just depends on the size, pattern, displacement and activity. You can have some small shrinkage cracks that are of no consequence even if things were done right.

You may have a structural problem, so make sure you know what you have before you patch unless this is a "flip".

#7 ·
I have looked at and been involved for over 40 years and concrete cracks are are normal, but not necessarily bad.

Anybody that can pour concrete and not have any cracks is better than 99.99% of the real contractors using normal materials and semi-exotic materials at reasonable prices and scheduling.

You can make a good living, but the concrete still cracks. The trick is for the owner to be satisfied enough, avoid structural problems and to not cause too big a dent in the reserves.

#8 ·
residential & commercial owners,,,

are much more forgiving than the feds &/or state dot's,,, our work involved std conc paving mix's which're more difficult to place & finish.

from my 6yrs exp here in ga (h-gwy, airport, residential, & commercial), nothing's changed,,, the primary reason conc cracks uncontrollably's poor joint patterns &/or not sawing control jnts at the proper time,,, granted, this may involve early cutting or staying thru the nite,,, we still place conc & guarantee it not to crk as a result of our methods/techniques.

i won't disagree w/your comments, either.

#9 ·
Just curious, but what do you suppose happens in the control joint you cut? I pour a lot of concrete, and we have several large floors that have never cracked, but that is the exception. The very nature of concrete, and this information can be found in every reference, will tell you that concrete will crack, not if, but when, and "controlling" the cracks will always be the issue, especially in flatwork.

If you have 6 years, and have great results, I applaud you. You must get a perfect mix every time. Between concretemasonry and myself, we probably have close to 65 years experience, and I haven't seen anyone get the results you are saying you get consistently.

#10 ·
isn't that why we call 'em 'control jnts ' ?,,, so the crk'll be where WE want it ?,,, even in 100k sf flatwork laser-screed plac'd, no random cracking,,, yes, conc's subject to great tensile & flexural force,,, that's why we have dedicated labor just for sawing,,, yes, it'll always be the issue 'cause that 1 random crack ruins everything.

we've dump'd 2k cy a day & its not always that 'perfect mix' every time, even j-mix or 1" slump from our own plant,,, so 'tween the 3 of us, make it something like 100 yrs,,, still learning, too, but its not uncommon in our field,,, & every pour's different,,, only 6yrs down south, btw,,, the rest was in the ne & middle atlantic states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.