Cracked Kitchen Tile; Can It Be Repaired? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cracked kitchen tile; can it be repaired?

My wife tells me this has been here since we moved in, but has obviously gotten worse; I didn't notice until Friday.

Is there anyway for this to be repaired? -As seen in the photo, the tile has cracks already extending to its edges. -My worst fear is that the kitchen floor must be redone due to one bad tile.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

robdville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 548

I don't suppose you have any of the spare tile for that floor?

If you do, then it can be replaced without redoing the whole floor, yes. (no need to go into details unless you have an extra tile, if you do...or if you find one, come back and we can talk you through replacing it)

If you don't, and if you can't find one to match it (which you may be able to...looks like a standard color at the big box stores)...but anyway, if you can't find a match and you don't want to replace the whole floor, the best I can tell you is live with it. Someone else might know of a glaze that would cover it, but I do not...sorry.

Advertisement

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

In fact I do . The previous owners left any excess in the garage; lucky me I suppose.

Okay, how we I get started?

Thanks again!

R Davis
Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #4

YOU DO?! OK, great.

This is the way I do it. Opinions vary, but IMO this method minimizes the chance for damage to adjacent tiles. Here we go:

1) Remove ALL the grout all the way around the damaged tile. You can get a grout saw and do it by hand, or if you have a dremel type tool, they make an attachment that will do this. I prefer the saw, because there's less (almost NO) chance of overshooting your target and getting into the next tile. Make sure as much of the grout as possible is out before going on ot step 2.

2) With a hammer, break up the damaged tile. (kinda fun , but don't get carried away. When you get close to the edges, lighten up a bit)

3) Remove all the pieces of the (now) broken tile. They could be sharp!!

4) Use a putty knife (or whatever it takes...chisel...I've used a wonderbar VERY carefully) to remove as much of the old thinset as possible.

From here you should have one tile removed and a nice (fairly) clean floor below it.

You'll need:
- 1/4" x 1/4" square notch trowel, disposable is fine if you can find it.
- 1 bag of modified thinset powder (NOT premixed, a bag of powder).
- A bucket
- Water
- 2 ft. (or 4 ft, but not necessary) level
- Grout to match existing.

Replacement:

1) Set one of the tiles in place to make sure it fits right. (even spacing all the way around). Hopefully it does.

2) Mix up some thinset to about the thickness of peanut butter or so.

3) With the notched side of the trowel, spread thinset in the space and on the back of the tile.

4) Moment of truth...set the tile in place and press down firmly. Use the level to make sure it is in line, horizontally) with all the tiles around it. Make sure the grout spacing is even.

5) Clean out excess thinset from grout line and alllow to set-up for 24 hours.

6) After the tile is set, mix up some grout a little bit thinner than the thinset, but not too thin.

7) Normally you would use a rubber grout float for this step, if you have one (or if your a tool-a-holic and want to buy one) then OK...but if not it's not that big of a deal for one tile. Press the grout into the grout line and smooth it out with a damp rag (or your NEW FLOAT ).

8) Give it about an hour or 2 to dry before any major traffic, but it should be fine.

Last edited by jproffer; 10-28-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #5

Wow...that's a lot to take in. -This is my next "Free" wkd project :-)

Seriously, I will likely tackle this in the next week or so. Thanks so much for the excellent instructions, I'll post w/any updates

Thanks again!

R Davis
Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Wow...that's a lot to take in. -This is my next "Free" wkd project :-)

Seriously, I will likely tackle this in the next week or so. Thanks so much for the excellent instructions, I'll post w/any updates

Thanks again!
LOL. It's not that bad really. All that, not counting the 24 hour setting time, might take you.... ... an hour.

Advertisement