Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #1

Share |

cracked grout and floor tile

I removed the grout around the tile to be replaced and removed all the grout in the other joint that was cracking. My question is, and I read somewhere, that the removal should extend into the next joint about 1/2 way. In other words, don't end on a corner as they're more susceptible to damage after regrouting Is this correct.

debbieindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Grout cracking because something wrong with a subfloor. It doesn't really matter how you will go into next joint if the strength is a concern- it is all about appearance.

galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Tileguy

Quote:
I removed the grout around the tile to be replaced and removed all the grout in the other joint that was cracking. My question is, and I read somewhere, that the removal should extend into the next joint about 1/2 way. In other words, don't end on a corner as they're more susceptible to damage after regrouting Is this correct.
It doesn't hurt to take a little more grout than is needed to remove a single tile. If you did stop grout removal at a corner it wouldn't be the end of the world. Why would that have an effect on future cracking? That's crazy stuff.

Quote:
Grout cracking because something wrong with a subfloor.
Not necessarily true. Grouts can crack for reasons other than "something wrong with the subfloor".

Quote:
It doesn't really matter how you will go into next joint if the strength is a concern- it is all about appearance.
Good Lord! It is about appearance but it is also about proper installation techniques.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote