Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #1

Share |

Cracked Grout

Have just finished re-painting both our Master Bath and Guest Bath. While working in both bathrooms, I noticed cracking in some of the grout, some in the walls of the shower and bathtub, some on the floor. All the tile itself seems fine.

How do I patch/fix the cracks?
sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #2

Cracked Grout

I dont know how old (or young) your house is but I would think there is some serious settlement in the structure. Cracks on floors are common when the initial preperation wasn't done right but wall tiles shouldn't normally show signs of cracking. Anyway, to fix the immediate problem, you will have to scrape out the cracked grout and re-grout. This could be a BandAid fix that will have to be redone again. Can you tell us more about the structure of the house?
'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #3

Cracked Grout

House is about 15 years old. Only a small crack or two on the main floor and walls. Area that I'm really concerned about is around the whirlpool tub, which may be a DIY job by a previous owner. Have found that I'm repairing several things that look like DIY jobs by the previous owner.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:42 AM   #4

Cracked Grout

Sherlock,

What is happening around the tub apart from cracked grout?
'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #5

Cracked Grout

As mentioned in another post, I've got some sqeaky boards upstairs, and there's one or two in the bathroom. I figure that may have something to do with it. No warping of the floor or anything. When I pulled out the caulk so my wife could re-caulk it, there was cracked caulk as well, and evidence that there had been some water going down the cracks. Not significant enough to make me want to pull out the tub, there's no evidence of water damage on the main floor ceiling. This is in the guest bathroom, which is hardly ever used. As stated before, it's not like all the grout is cracked, just a couple cracks in isolated areas.

As for master bath, same thing. More cracking around the whirlpool tub, but we haven't used it yet, decided we wanted to fix the area first.