Cracked Concrete Floor Inspection - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cracked concrete floor inspection

We have noticed over the last few years that there seems to be a crack in the concrete slab under our breakfast area. What we are seeing is a warp in the linoleum/vinyl floor that cuts off a corner of the room at the corner of the house. We are looking at replacing the downstairs flooring (vinyl flooring in the kitchen/breakfast area and carpet in the rest of the downstairs). I do not know how "bad" the crack is (i.e. how deep or wide it is) as it has flooring glued to it. Before we put anything new down, I know we should address the crack. How that should be addressed, I do not know as I do not know how bad it is. I feel like I should consult a professional to assess the slab issues. We are in southern Louisiana and we do get lots of water. Our home and yard have not flooded.

I am concerned that if I call a foundation person, they may have a tendency to look at all cracks as a serious foundation issue but I would not know who else to consult. Any options/ideas/recommendations/suggestions?

Terri Thomas

Advertisement

dumbunusedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cracked concrete floor inspection

The main rule of a large slab or concrete(over 10') is, it will crack. There are usually control joints to tell it where to crack. Wether it is a major problem depends on if it grows(gets wider) or shifts vertically. There are membranes that can be laid over a crack to minimize its' affect.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote