Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #1

Share |

covering for floor?

Ya i posted here before, but Idk what happened to the thread. But basically, have a floor that is missing the top layer, so theres just these planks I guess that are like 5-6 inches wide and a couple of feet long, and they go across. The floor is currently 1/4" below the neighboring floors.

I was wondering what is the best way to cover this floor, because i don't want to walk around it the way it is now. What would be the options, I'm assuming carpeting is an option, and maybe 1/4" plywood if they got anything like that. Anything else?

I'm not really experienced about this stuff, sorry about that.
supremeone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
DIY staff

covering for floor?

The easiest and cheapest will be to ---add some screws to what's there to get rid of the squeaks

Top it with 1/4 inch ply--Luan is O.K. under carpet,and it's very cheap-(use small crown staples)

then add carpet.

If the budget is a little bigger--look at a laminate floor---no 1/4 inch ply needed--Just screw the squeaks---roll out the pad and install---more work--more money--a little nicer

Carpet sounds like a good choice to me----Mike---
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #3

covering for floor?

thanks for responding. Why would laminate floor be more work? Do you have to screw it all in?? Well the 1/4" plywood seems good.. How do you attach it though? Crown staples? And do you need a special staple gun to do that? I have a regular staple gun, where you hit what you want to staple and a small staple comes out. It attaches to wood, but Im not sure if it takes bigger staples than the ones I've used. And where do you staple, at any location?

Also I'm assuming since it's 1/4" plywood, I wouldn't even need an electric saw to cut it, could probably just use a hand saw?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

covering for floor?

In a pinch, you can cut luan with a utilty knife. It need to be stapled, every 2 inches along the edges and every four inches in the field with at least a 9/16" , 1/4 crown staple. It can be screwed or nailed (ringshank) if it will be covered by carpet, but needs to be stapled if covered with vinyl.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

covering for floor?

couldn't find luan when I did a search on home depot. Btw staple gun I have is Stanley Heavy Duty Hammer Tacker. Probably would prefer using nails or screws.

btw what i'm more concerned about now is the price of a carpet. How much would it cost to have a carpet cover a 12' by 12' room. Looks like it could cost a lot but maybe I'm wrong. What is the cheapest or average price I would pay for that?

I'm thinking I'll go with a carpet for the time being and than later add plywood. But if carpeting is too much, than might just do the plywood and leave it alone for a bit, maybe add a real small carpet or a few small carpets afterwards.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

covering for floor?

Thats 16 yards. If you want to just roll a piece out in there, should be less than $100, but it might be higher where you live, for a piece of cheap commmercial carpet.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Tileguy

covering for floor?

Quote:
Ya i posted here before, but Idk what happened to the thread.
I can tell you what happened to your earlier thread!

You also posted a link to a picture in that thread. I foolishly opened that link and immediately my computer was invaded with a Trojan Horse virus. Before I could get things shut down it had dumped four versions into my hard drive and email. I was viewing this site via my email account.

Your post was deleted as a result.

I don't know what happened but that picture proxy you are using has issues. At first we assumed you had done it intentionally.

I spent the next three hours getting rid of those viruses and getting things cleaned up.

Other contributors:
So....if this OP posts anymore links to photographs BE CAREFUL.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 03-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

covering for floor?

what the heck... i took that picture 10 minutes or so before posting. Uploaded it and than that was it. I wanted a direct link to the picture but you gotta sign up to get that.

man, that's not good tho, hope i don't have a virus on my computer. Probably not because im not having no issues.

Sorry about that
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Tileguy

covering for floor?

I was in good shape just three hours prior, had just completed a scan.

I went to view the photo, after about 7 seconds a new window popped up telling me I had many infections and offering to fix my computer for $49. I couldn't get away from that site no matter what I did. By the time I shut down and rebooted things weren't running too spiffy so I did another scan and sure enough...4 Trojans. As my security program was working I also ran Spybot and they reported the same thing.

The last time this happened it cost me $69 to get it fixed and I lost a whole bunch of stuff in the process. Thank you India!!!

So anyway - just thought y'all should know.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled program.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote