Covering Concrete Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

covering concrete floor

Good Day to All, I need some advice on covering a concrete floor, with peel and stick tile,,,,,, I have an outside carport that I have recently re-errected an aluminum wall sun room on, the carport has a metal roof and open framing, I've used non vented vinyl soffit in the overhead of the room and am real satisfied with the look, but the floor,,,,, it's a non insulated slab 4-5 in thick with fiberglass impregnated 3500# concrete about 4 years old , smooth finish and clean, no grease or oil, I want to use peel and stick tile due to ease of installation, is there a coating I can use both as an adhesion promoter and sweat seal on the concrete, I've only seen the slab sweat once or twice in exterme weather, I don't want to install a sub floor, what do you think guys???

Advertisement

collosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

covering concrete floor

Locate the product you wish to use then contact the manufacturer and ask them. The input you get here will be nothing more than speculation and may not be reliable information in the long run.

Those peel 'n' stick tiles are never the best quality products and the existing adhesive usually isn't enough either and requires additional adhesive be applied to the substrate.

Sealing moisture (into) the concrete will never happen. Is this area heated in the winter time?

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

covering concrete floor

talking to the manufacturer is probably best ,about the substrate under the tile, the room will only be heated while we're in there, an electric fireplace is what we had in mind, no AC, just open windows, the room will be outside temp 95% of the time, I've just been informed by the Boss she may want to paint the floor and put down sisal rugs, in any event thanks for the advice, and maybe more on this project later Collosse
collosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

covering concrete floor

Paint the floor? Why would you want to paint a floor?

If you really don't care much how is looks, why not stain the floor? Painting a floor is not a good idea mainly because it'll wear unevenly and could even peel from under slab moisture etc. Stain at least partially soaks into the slab and will last longer.

Either way however will probably prevent easy installation of glued down flooring in the future?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote