Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

covered concrete porch..what kind of floor?

I have a covered porch approx 19’ x 7’ which is open on one long side to the outside. Porch is 36” off the ground. The floor is concrete with 2 expansion joints. house is 2 yrs old and no cracks in the concrete. I would like to put some kind of treatment on the floor keeping in mind that the floor is exposed to rain & snow from time to time. I don’t want anything that would become too slippery when wet. What about porcelain or ceramic tile? Looking for suggestions and tips for laying tile over concrete in an exterior environment. Does the concrete need to be sealed before installing tile? This slab is off the ground.

captjackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Porcelain is a type of ceramic tile.
It's fired at higher temps, so it's considered harder, more impervious to water & abrasion, and the color is usually throughout the tile, rather than just a colored glaze on top.
However, the industry has sort of reduced these terms to generic meanings:
ceramic = low end
porcelain = high end
Do not do slate - the moisture and freezing will break it to pieces.
Do not seal the concrete. You want open porous concrete for the mortar to bite into.

Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is an endless selection of tiles that will work fine outdoors in freezing temps. Porcelain, whether glazed or unglazed or most quarry tiles. You need a slight texture at minimum. Visit your local tile shop for selections.

You need a slope for water run off of at least 1/4" per ft. Doesn't look like you have that from the pic. With an inadequate slope, water will enter the tile work then when it freezes, you've got problems.

It would be a good idea to install a sheet membrane first such as Ditra, then waterproof the seams. You will also have to carry those control joints up into the tiles work and of course place expansion joints at the perimeter against the siding.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,142

impo, no matter how well you complete the tile, it will eventually loosen due to water intrusion into the substrate which'll freeze & lift it off,,, just a matter of time !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

You should just have it stained.
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote