Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Newbie Bill

Share |

A couple of Hardwood flooring questions

Hey Gang,

We are wanting to install Hardwood in our living/dining room and kitchen.

Is it OK to install the Hardwood over the vinyl flooring that is in the kitchen?

We aren't planning on touching our cabinets, but I think we may run into an issue with our dishwasher. With 3/4" hardwood, we may not get it back in there. And I don't know what my subfloor is, so if I need to add a layer, then I am really screwed.

Are there any words of wisdom out there on this topic?

drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

best to consider a laminate in this case do to height issues. Doorways, trim, cabinets, dw and more.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Tileguy

If you go over the vinyl chances are you will probably lock the DW in. You should remove the vinyl along with any 1/4" underlayment it's glued to. Remove both at the same time, leaving the vinyl glued to the underlayment.

The 3/4" hardwood can the nailed to the subfloor.

Dishwashers have adjustable feet. I would screw the feet in all the way, then shim the DW up as high as possible so that it can be pull out over the new floor, or install it on the new flooring.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
If you go over the vinyl chances are you will probably lock the DW in. You should remove the vinyl along with any 1/4" underlayment it's glued to. Remove both at the same time, leaving the vinyl glued to the underlayment.

The 3/4" hardwood can the nailed to the subfloor.

Dishwashers have adjustable feet. I would screw the feet in all the way, then shim the DW up as high as possible so that it can be pull out over the new floor, or install it on the new flooring.

Jaz
Hey Jaz,

I checked my floor and it appears I have a 1/2" subfloor with what looks like about 3/8" that the vinyl is attached to.

This floor is over 2X10 joists spanning 12 feet between beams.

Is that a sufficient base for 3/4" hardwood? Because if it is, my dishwasher issues will go away as I am sure I'll have more than enough room, especially using the adjustable legs you mentioned.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

yes the subfloor is sufficient for a hard wood floor installation Be sure to nail into the joists.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
yes the subfloor is sufficient for a hard wood floor installation Be sure to nail into the joists.
Whew, Thanks Bob. That is a load off my mind.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Tileguy

Please double check and accurately measure the subfloor and underlayment. There is no jurisdiction that allows a single 1/2" plywood as "the" subfloor system. The minimum is 5/8" but it's usually 3/4". Years ago they did use a double subfloor system of 1/2 + 5/8". But that doesn't sound what you have.

Most underlayments for vinyl flooring are 1/4" luaun or similar. If that is what you have it has to go for sure. So measure the subfloor again and we'll see what you've got. You can drill a small hole to measure, or you may be able to read the specs from below. Do not install hardwood or anything for that matter on a single 1/2" plywood sub.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Please double check and accurately measure the subfloor and underlayment. There is no jurisdiction that allows a single 1/2" plywood as "the" subfloor system. The minimum is 5/8" but it's usually 3/4". Years ago they did use a double subfloor system of 1/2 + 5/8". But that doesn't sound what you have.

Most underlayments for vinyl flooring are 1/4" luaun or similar. If that is what you have it has to go for sure. So measure the subfloor again and we'll see what you've got. You can drill a small hole to measure, or you may be able to read the specs from below. Do not install hardwood or anything for that matter on a single 1/2" plywood sub.

Jaz
We are assuming he has a 3/4 subfloor and 1/4 luan under the vinyl. But as you stated you need to be sure. Never seen only 1/2 over joists before but you never know.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
We are assuming he has a 3/4 subfloor and 1/4 luan under the vinyl. But as you stated you need to be sure. Never seen only 1/2 over joists before but you never know.
I'll check.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
Newbie Bill

Upon closer inspection, the subfloor is 5/8" throughout the house. Looks like vinyl is glued to 3/8" plywood on top of the 5/8".

So my plan is to remove the 3/8" plywood that the vinyl is glued to. Then install 3/8" plywood throughout.

That will give me a base of 1" for the Hardwood. The dishwasher is going to be TIGHT.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #11

Why not just put the wood floor down on the sub floor?
Or put down 1/4" which in total will be more then the normal 3/4" sub floor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Newbie Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Why not just put the wood floor down on the sub floor?
Or put down 1/4" which in total will be more then the normal 3/4" sub floor
Hey Scuba,

From what I understand, 5/8" floor under hardwood is a bare minimum. We would need a bit beefier subfloor, especially if we lay the flooring on a diagonal.

You are right that 1/4" will still be more than the ideal 3/4". It will likely come down to availability and cost.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
Tileguy

All 1/4" ply would do is raise the floor, It'll add almost no structural strength. And, if the 1/4" is luaun, it is specifically not recommended. If you need more stiffness, add 3/8" minimum, 1/2" or thicker would be better.

Jaz