Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Couple carpet questions

I have done smaller rooms that didn't require seaming and I just knee kicked it to stretch it. I am going to be doing our living room and bedroom this week. The living room is 17x15 so it will need a seam and the bedroom will need seamed at the closet. I bought an iron and glue tape for the seams. I also rented a power stretcher for the week, didn't want to be in a rush! Here is the carpet we bought, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051. Just some cheap stuff from home depot but will look better than what is in here now.

I've been reading and watching youtube videos on carpet and it seems like some like to cut the carpet from the back, some like to "run a row" from the top, and some like to double cut. Can anyone help with the best way to cut the carpet where I will need to seam it? I bought a carpet cutter made to "run a row", http://www.lowes.com/pd_246661-81-48...tter&facetInfo=. Is cutting from the top the best way to seam the carpet? Also any tips for using the iron? I am going to practice on the old carpet and also some scraps from the new carpet before I do the actual seams. When do I seam the bedroom to closet carpet, before or after I stretch the bedroom? I'm guessing after?

Any tips on stretching? I have read the CRI105 diagram on which walls to stretch but anything else like how much to stretch it? Also when I need to seam the 15x17 living room should I stretch the carpet the direction of the seam before seaming it since the glue doesn't stretch? And then stretch it the other way after seaming it?

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Couple carpet questions

Anybody? I'm going to lay this tonight and just want to do it right.

Couple carpet questions-carpet.jpg

Well I tried to attach a rough drawing but looks like it didn't work so well. The seam I need to do is between the bedroom and closet. Just wondering if I stretch the bedroom carpet first and then seam the closet to the bedroom or if I seam it first and then stretch everything?

Thanks

Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #3

Couple carpet questions

Looks like I'm just going to go ahead and do this and hope it turns out alright.

I guess there must not be many guys on here with carpet experience?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25
Cool

Couple carpet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I have done smaller rooms that didn't require seaming and I just knee kicked it to stretch it. I am going to be doing our living room and bedroom this week. The living room is 17x15 so it will need a seam and the bedroom will need seamed at the closet. I bought an iron and glue tape for the seams. I also rented a power stretcher for the week, didn't want to be in a rush! Here is the carpet we bought, http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051. Just some cheap stuff from home depot but will look better than what is in here now.

I've been reading and watching youtube videos on carpet and it seems like some like to cut the carpet from the back, some like to "run a row" from the top, and some like to double cut. Can anyone help with the best way to cut the carpet where I will need to seam it? I bought a carpet cutter made to "run a row", http://www.lowes.com/pd_246661-81-48...tter&facetInfo=. Is cutting from the top the best way to seam the carpet? Also any tips for using the iron? I am going to practice on the old carpet and also some scraps from the new carpet before I do the actual seams. When do I seam the bedroom to closet carpet, before or after I stretch the bedroom? I'm guessing after?

Any tips on stretching? I have read the CRI105 diagram on which walls to stretch but anything else like how much to stretch it? Also when I need to seam the 15x17 living room should I stretch the carpet the direction of the seam before seaming it since the glue doesn't stretch? And then stretch it the other way after seaming it?

No. good flooring guys are hard to come buy. Most people think they can do it and they are out of business. Most of the carpet layers in rochester MN don't even own a power stretcher. The bad carpet layers are called choppers.

When they cut from the bottom with a straight edge it's because there is no pattern to match up on the top. You can cut with a straight edge from the back with this stuff. First make sure the carpet is walking the same way.rub your hand across the carpet and the carpet will lay down in one direction and stand up in the other direction.

Stretch the length of the carpet. Not the width. The carpet is 12 ft wide. the length witch is longer stretches much better.
silver_flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #5

Couple carpet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Looks like I'm just going to go ahead and do this and hope it turns out alright.

I guess there must not be many guys on here with carpet experience?
If your not sure you got the seem right with the iron. Don't worry, It will come apart when you stretch it if it is not right or if the glue hasn't dried yet. Did you get one of those blower things to put on top of the seam after its glued?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Couple carpet questions

A good installer row follows and cuts seams from the top. very few carpets need to be cut from the back. Carpet installation with seams is not something that most DIYers can do right.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

Couple carpet questions

right. carpet with patterns have to be cut from the top. for this application you can cut from the bottom with a straight edge and it makes no difference what so ever. I install carpet on my spare time for a friend of mine and I've been working on the side for him for 4 Years now and he has not let he seem one together yet. it's the last thing you learn how to do.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,222

Couple carpet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_flash View Post
right. carpet with patterns have to be cut from the top. for this application you can cut from the bottom with a straight edge and it makes no difference what so ever. I install carpet on my spare time for a friend of mine and I've been working on the side for him for 4 Years now and he has not let he seem one together yet. it's the last thing you learn how to do.
Not just carpet with patterns, almost all carpets should be cut from the top, following a row. Not something for the novice. I have been installing and teaching installations since 1973.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #9

Couple carpet questions

Thanks for the advice guys. I went ahead and did the bedroom yesterday and it went good. I seamed the piece for the closet to the bedroom. First had some issues with a bad bond. When I was at HD they had two roberts seaming taps and I asked what the difference was and they said the more expensive one was double sided so I just got the cheap one. After having some issues with the tape pulling off I did some reading and the cheap tape got pretty bad reviews. So I went back and the got the tape they said was two sided, ended up it was only one sided but had more glue, think it was called roberts max tack or something like that. That seam came out with a good bond. I stretched everything and trimmed it and it looks really good. The seam isn't invisable but it is very acceptable. I tried cutting from the top but was having a hard time "running a row" so I ended up using a straight edge on the back. I couldn't find a row finder tool at any of the local stores and didn't take the time to order one, hopefully I will be done by the time it would get here. Tried using an awl and screwdriver but just couldn't get the hang of it or was doing something wrong.

Next is the living room which will be a little more difficult. The room is 20x15 so I got a piece 21x12 and another piece 11x12 which I will cut in half to make two pieces 11x6 and seam those together to make a 22x6 piece that I will seam to the 21x12 to make a 21x18. I cleared out the living room today and am getting the floor ready for the new padding. I have the stretcher until monday so have the weekend to hopefully get some decent looking seams. I'm not expecting perfection but as long as they look decent they will be acceptable.