DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cork vs Tile Flooring

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Elleng83 
#1 · (Edited)
Help! My heart was settled on cork flooring however, I was recently informed that cork will fade over time if exposed to sunlight. Now my husband wants to go with ceramic tile since our bay window will have a definite impact on the flooring. Any helpful hints out there? Also, can hardwood be used in one room and butted against hardwood in another?
Ellen:(

#2 ·
Hi Ellen,

Cork, vinyl, wood, almost anything will fade. Even with ceramic tiles you should take precautions if the sun beats on the floor much of the day. But yes, ceramic is the best type of flooring overall. Some don't like the hard surface, but that's why it's best.

You can install wood in an adjoining room, but it'll not look right unless you weave the new and old together, then sand & refinish both.

Jaz

Reactions: Elleng83
#3 ·
We actually have cork flooring in our office. I have not noticed any drastic fading. The cork wears very well, especially for those computer chairs. I can honestly say that cork floors are one of the best decisions we've made for a room with high traffic. The type we have came in large sheets with interlocking system for floating. Very resistance to dents due to the porous nature and is one of the only floor coverings which provides a great balance of firmness and traction for those computer chairs with wheels.

This article might be useful in your decision:
http://www.uniquewoodfloor.blogspot.com/2011/01/growing-appeal-of-cork-flooring.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.