Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Cork vs Cats

Hi, I am getting ready to begin kitchen remodeling job and currently have engineered hickory wood throughout house. Walls will be coming down and must either purchase more hickory or change out flooring in kitchen. Am interested in cork, but have 2 rambunctious and 1 senior cat. I've read reviews not great with cats claws. What are your views and any other suggestions on other woods?

Nanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Cork vs Cats

If you get a quality cork material with a nice finish the cats will do no more harm to it than any other flooring. Check out Duro-Design for some possibilities. I have used their flooring a lot for clients with no complaints. You can get their cork as tiles or engineered flooring. The flooring is so much better than LL or Box Store stuff and has warranties on the material and the finish that are among the best in the industry. They are good about sending samples but as a consumer they may send them through a distributor or designer.

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm/cork-flooring/

Quality bamboo is nice in kitchens. Bamboo is harder than domestic hardwoods. Stranded/composite bamboos are even harder. Eucalyptus is also a renewable resource. What about some nice Italian floor tiles? Concrete and recycled glass bottles and traffic lights polished out like terrazo (makes beautiful countertops and I have seen a few floors).

Obviously keeping the cat claws trimmed helps everybody out. I giggle at people who say it cannot be done and think those who amputate cat joints should have their own fingers wacked off with a paper cutter. The US is one of the only countries that allows the mutilation. Spike was 25-26 pounds of opinionated orange tabby and while I sometimes had to do his nails in several settings we got them done. Sharp surgical type clippers are key. Giving them things to scratch on is another approach.

Did you know one reason they scratch is because their nails grow in two directions? Cat claws grow out like our nails but also up. Imagine what ours would feel like if they grew up and pressured the cuticle. We would scratch to get them off too?

Last edited by user1007; 07-14-2012 at 03:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #3

Cork vs Cats

Thanks for the info. In reading reviews it sounds like there is something you should put on flooring once it's down. ? a protectant. What is this?
Nanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Cork vs Cats

I believe Duro-Design recommends a final coat of finish after the flooring is in place to seal edges and so forth. Some flooring manufacturers will void their warranties if you put anything over their finish though. You have to explore what the flooring manufacturer you finally pick suggests.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

Cork vs Cats

It sounds like it would be quite a bit more affordable to just get more of the hickory rather than replacing everything.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote