Cork Underlayment and Laminate Advice
Happy New Year, all!
I have a 100-year old home with the original hardwood floors. The second floor generates a bit of noise and I'm looking for a quick, inexpensive fix. It is currently an apartment.
The second floor is currently tile (kitchen and bathroom), original hardwood (bedroom and hallway) and parquet (living room). The original hardwood is in pretty good shape and I'd like to save it (at least for now). I'm not sure why the living room is parquet but it is sitting on plywood (1/4 I believe) that is on top of the original subfloor (1/4" or 3/8" planks). The parquet is approximately 1/8" higher than the original hardwood.
The original hardwood and parquet floors are level and do not appear to have any serious dips.
I would like to cover the original hardwood and parquet in a laminate or engineered floor. Ideally, cork underlayment would be used to soften the floor and provide some soundproofing between the first and second floors (I realize this won't be perfect).
So here's my plan:
- cover existing hardwood floor and parquet with 1/4" cork underlayment (floated, not glued)
- lay another layer of cork underlayment (1/8" thick) on top of the existing hardwood floor to level the surface between the hardwood and parquet floors
- lay 12mm or 13mm laminate (or 3/8" engineered hardwood) floor on top of the cork (floated, not glued or stapled)
My questions are:
1) Is there any issues that would arise from laying the second layer of cork on top of the first?
2) Would it be more prudent to only have one layer of 1/4" cork underlayment throughout and simply install a threshold where the 1/8" difference in height occurs?
I'd love to hear anyone's opinions or previous experience. It is a rental property so I'd like to get the most bang for my buck with regards to both appearance and soundproofing.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.