Cork Underlayment - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Cork Underlayment

In a condo on the second floor. Ordered 1/4" cork underlayment to put over what looks like plywood and Luan subfloor (1/4"Luan is on top). I'm going to order a floating Laminate floor. It is my understanding that the cork underlay doesn't need to be glued down for this type of flooring. My question is, does the cork underlay need to be installed flush with the walls, or should I leave a 1/8 to 1/4" space around the perimeter for the cork underlay? I'm trying to optimize the sound deadening properties.

Thanks

Advertisement

diyGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Cork Underlayment

I just staple it down. do not need many, just enough to keep it from moving around when installing the floor.
Make sure the staples are just below the surface, a light tap with a hammer will do.
If your using the rolled stuff, unroll it, cut to length and flip it over.
No need for a gap.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,692

Cork Underlayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyGK View Post
In a condo on the second floor. Ordered 1/4" cork underlayment to put over what looks like plywood and Luan subfloor (1/4"Luan is on top). I'm going to order a floating Laminate floor. It is my understanding that the cork underlay doesn't need to be glued down for this type of flooring. My question is, does the cork underlay need to be installed flush with the walls, or should I leave a 1/8 to 1/4" space around the perimeter for the cork underlay? I'm trying to optimize the sound deadening properties.

Thanks
just wondering. what was on the floor ? carpet ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

Cork Underlayment

Yes, carpet.
Question: for an isolation barrier, it is my understanding that I cut a 2" strip and glue it to the wall. Do I then unroll and butt the cork underlayment to this barrier? When the floating laminate floor is installed, do I just cut the isolation barrier to the level of the floor and install my trim?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Cork Underlayment

well, i feel bad for those that live below you then. they are going to hear nearly every step you take, perhaps every conversation and tv show, music also.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

Cork Underlayment

Even with cork uderlayment?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #7

Cork Underlayment

it sounds like you have joists. i used to live in a condo that had flexi-core with cement over it. and i could still hear some things. but not so much in the rooms that had carpet(the unit above).
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Cork Underlayment

Yea. This condo unit is so poorly "sound proofed" that I can hear my neighbors sneeze. At night I need
to play a low frequency sound from a boom box to drown out the guy below me (snoring). So I consider my neighbors fortunate that I am at least investing in cork underlay. I'm also going to invest in 1/2" cork for the bedroom with the hopes of not needing to blast an 85hz track all night to fall asleep.
Anyway, I'm hoping that if I install a sound isolation barrier around the perimeter and 1/4" cork under the floating laminate, that I'd get some type of improvement since the carpet I had was cheap and the pad was missing in areas. The floors squeaked like hell w the carpet, so probably not going to be much difference to my neighbor below.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Cork Underlayment

it sounds like you really don't want carpet, correct ?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #10

Cork Underlayment

Correct. Dislike carpet.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #11

Cork Underlayment

perhaps get carpet just for your bedroom. that would really help with the snoring issue. and then whatever you want for the rest of the unit.

afa the cork. idk what that would do. i am sure it will help, but idk how much.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

Cork Underlayment

Thanks. I actually still have the carpet in the bedroom and can hear the snoring loudly. 1/2" cork is supposed to have incredible sound dampening properties......worse case....I'll install the cork in the bedroom and then put a pad and carpet over it.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #13

Cork Underlayment

ok. well, good luck with that. and let us know how it turns out. we like to hear results.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #14

Cork Underlayment

Been doing some research and there seems tube conflicting views on how cork underlayment should be installed. Some sources say to cut and glue a 2" isolation barrier around the perimeter and lay the cork sheets butted against this barrier: http://www.crescenthardwood.com/pl/bostik/cork.pdf
Other sources, like Lumber liquidators recommend leaving a 1/4" -1/2" expansion gap. Anyone have real world experience on this? My gut tells me to follow the 2" iso barrier and butt the cork against it

Advertisement