Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Video Guy

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Cork flooring reviews

I recently ripped out the carpet in my guest bedroom and plan on either installing engineered wood flooring, bamboo, or cork. After spending an entire weekend going from retailer to retailer and looking at hundreds of samples of the above mentioned, I am really digging the look of the cork. Now, I have been getting mixed reviews from the employees of stores that sell the cork. Some say its the best, some say don't do it, that it's overrated, and others say that I'm going to have to spend at least $8 a foot (not installed) to get a decent cork product (NaturalCork).

I know cork isn't relatively new in the work of flooring but am I really going to have to fork over $8+ a foot for good cork? Does anyone know of a website that specifically reviews cork flooring products? OR, does anyone know of a place that sells drastically reduced cork flooring? I eventually want to rip all the carpet out of this place and stay consistent with the cork or whatever flooring I end up choosing.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks in advance!

SillyGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cork flooring reviews

Cork is interesting stuff as a floor, cushioned but durable. Does require maintenance. You should be able to find lots of info on the web, search cork flooring.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #3

Cork flooring reviews

We installed cork tiles 10 years ago in our kitchen/eating area/ family room. We have oak cabinets and trim so it went very well together. I love the care of it (we use the Shark steamer), it's warm in the winter, and very comfortable on the feet. The biggest problem is the severe fading problem we have. We have southern exposure with window coverage but the fading is still crazy. It is a light vanilla color at worst part and then if you lift an area rug- the original color. I am trying to see about restaining it. My mother and aunt have the floating cork system in their beach front condos and love it because it is easy to care for. It also holds up well with the fine sand. I also like the neutralness and modern look of the cork. I would install it again but with less light exposure.
cydnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cork flooring reviews

I carried over the trend from library and museum clients and used to spec a lot of cork flooring for residential and it can be wonderful. It is extremely durable, quiet, and if you get it from a good flooring source comes in just about any color you can imagine as either tiles of different sizes or floating flooring. Don't waste the money on retail stuff though. Drop me a note and will give the name of the source I use. Installers love it.

Same source will have other alternatives like quality, not box store crap bamboo even Pandas wouldn't eat.

And by the way? The retail employees you talked to selling flooring got the expertise to be pulling down $7.50/hour where and how?

Last edited by user1007; 11-06-2010 at 04:05 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
606guy (03-28-2011)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Cork flooring reviews

i couldn't imagine paying that for the product. have you considered stranded bamboo? i noticed you mentioned it. there is almost no upkeep besides cleaning and it's very hard stuff. the quality stuff sells for about $3.75 a square around here
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 514

Cork flooring reviews

USFloors NaturalCork is probably the best one on the market. It uses a ceramic bead in the wear layer now instead of aluminum oxide. This actually makes it more durable and it makes it look better, more like a hand rubbed finish. It also has a thicker tougher wear layer than the competition. The product you are talking about costs more because you are getting lifetime warranties on it as well. I sell the product. I don't have my pricelist in front of me but I'm pretty sure I could sell it to you for less than $8.00 / SF. It sounds like someone is charging you full retail. You can find a better deal. Also check their website. There is a $300 coupon on select products through the end of the year.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #7

Cork flooring reviews

Sdester, thanks for this info. I'm new to this site and found it whilst googling for info on cork flooring. I cannot figure out how to send you a personal message on here, but would really appreciate the contact info for affordable cork. If you can't post it here, could you please tell me how to get in touch with you???? Thanks in advance.
savinabuckor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

Cork flooring reviews

I live in Chicago and would also like to know the supplier sdester used for cork flooring.

Thank you for your help
606guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #9

Cork flooring reviews

I live in Chicago and would love to know your cork flooring supplier. Don't know how to contact you direct.
You can email me at dene2800@aol.com
Thank you for your help
606guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Cork flooring reviews

Take a look at amcork.com. I have been using it for about 10 years. It is a quality product.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #11

Cork flooring reviews

Can you please let me know of a good source for corl glue down tiles? Thanks
howdihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Cork flooring reviews

http://www.amcork.com/flooring_list.asp?filter=parquet
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #13

Cork flooring reviews

I am looking into cork tile for my kitchen. I work in a pub and we have cork tiles down, 250 people a day come in a small area and no wear and tear at all. That is durable stuff, plus its said to be eco friendly.

Kat38 is offline   Reply With Quote