Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cork Floating floor layout advice needed

I am planning on laying a floating cork floor (Lisbon Cork- Mora from Lumber Liquidators) and cannot decide which direction to lay the planks. If I lay the planks in the direction of the longest wall, I will be placing them perpendicular to the direction of the light and in the same direction as the floor joists. I was planning on going with the direction of the light and perpendicular to the floor joists, but I am worried that the wall from the closet on the far end of the room might make the floor less stable(will seperate a couple rows) since the first and last rows provide the most support. I've linked a picture that I hope will clarify my question. Floor joists are in red. The green arrows are the longest wall (hard to read). The room is pretty small at about 8' x 12'. Any advice is really appreciated.

accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would go the way you plan, run the planks the longest way of the room and you will end up with less waist.

JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by accipiter View Post

I am planning on laying a floating cork floor (Lisbon Cork- Mora from Lumber Liquidators) and cannot decide which direction to lay the planks. If I lay the planks in the direction of the longest wall, I will be placing them perpendicular to the direction of the light and in the same direction as the floor joists. I was planning on going with the direction of the light and perpendicular to the floor joists, but I am worried that the wall from the closet on the far end of the room might make the floor less stable(will seperate a couple rows) since the first and last rows provide the most support. I've linked a picture that I hope will clarify my question. Floor joists are in red. The green arrows are the longest wall (hard to read). The room is pretty small at about 8' x 12'. Any advice is really appreciated.

I would go with the longest wall. Since the floor is not actually attached to the subfloor the floor being laid parallel to the joists should not matter nor will it affect the floor.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote