Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

cork in bathroom

got a good deal on cork click together flooring at a auction and want to use it in the bath room I am working on, and have some questions.

first do I do the entire floor then set the tub or do I set the tub then floor up to it?

I will have a 3/4 osb sub floor, can I then put down a 1/4 plywood underlayment and glue the cork planks down? hows the best way to install cork planks in a bathroom?

treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

cork in bathroom

Click together is a floating floor. It does not attach to the floor at all.

1) Install tub first.
2) Lay a sheet of 6 mil plastic and tape any seams.
3) Cut your cork and click it together on the floor.
4) Make sure you leave a 1/4" expansion joint around the edges. The floor needs room to accommodate structural movement.
5) You can optionally run a bead of glue in the joints as you install the floor to permanently bond the material together and increase its resistance to moisture.
6) Cap the edges off with quarter round.

No need for 1/4" subfloor unless the OSB is really not even and flat. Click together floors generally allow about 1/10" out of level without the need to built low spots up.

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

cork in bathroom

I agree with Poppa. The only thing I would add is make sure to put silicone around the perimeter. This will stop any water from getting to the core of the flooring. Include around the stool.
I, myself alway put 2 coats of polyurithane over the cork. This stop any moisture from getting to the core. Cork is impervious to water, the core material is not.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

cork in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
I agree with Poppa. The only thing I would add is make sure to put silicone around the perimeter. This will stop any water from getting to the core of the flooring. Include around the stool.
I, myself alway put 2 coats of polyurithane over the cork. This stop any moisture from getting to the core. Cork is impervious to water, the core material is not.

this stuff is cork all the way through! about 1/2 inch thick. should I still polyurithane?

I have clear silicon called supper stretch that I have been useing for other things, will this work well for the perimeter?

what would you use if I wanted to glue the planks together? the same silicone or mabye construction adheasive?

and since I have been advised not to glue down, should I float it or put it straight down on the osb? and yes I will put down a plastic sheeting first.

I got 3 packages of 22.5 sq ft plus 2 extra planks of this solid cork click together flooring for $15.00, how did I do? I think I done well!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

cork in bathroom

Wait a second. If it is cork all the way through it should not be a click together system. Can you give use some info on the exact product? Brand, style, etc. Maybe the manufacturer's website?
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #6

cork in bathroom

Once again I agree with Poppa. The only solid cork I have ever found is for underlayment. I just purchased and installed 1000 ft. of it under cork laminate. The customer wanted an additional sound barrier. With the way cork is manufacture as flooring it would not be strong enough to hold a click lock system. It is the crumbled bark of a tree. If it a solid cork it can be glued down. and it does not have to have poly over it. I would still reccomened the poly. If water gets between the peices of flooring it will most likely break down the glue.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

cork in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Wait a second. If it is cork all the way through it should not be a click together system. Can you give use some info on the exact product? Brand, style, etc. Maybe the manufacturer's website?
it will be friday before I can get back over to the house to work, I will get the info off the package and post it here when I get done for the day (Friday night)
Old 03-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #8

cork in bathroom

when I said cork all the way through, I asumed this because the bottom of the plank is cork also but unfinished it looks like the top is already polyed.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #9

cork in bathroom

Being in the bath I would still put atleast 1 coat of poly. On all cork that I sell I have always put Poly on to make sure that water does not get in the seams. I just like to cover my name.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #10

cork in bathroom

The problem with putting a coat of poly on a prefinished floor, is that you instantly eliminate any form of finish warranty, and you're making the floor less durable. The aluminum-Oxide finish that comes on any reputable prefinished floor is significantly harder than any home applicable finish.

In a full bath it may be worth it, anywhere else though I'd question it.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #11

cork in bathroom

The cork that I deal with mostly reccomends putting 2 coats over their finish. I put it on all brands. By putting poly on you give the cork a stronger wear layer. Check with the manufacturer and see if it voids the warrenty. I don't beleive it will.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #12

cork in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Click together is a floating floor. It does not attach to the floor at all.

1) Install tub first.
2) Lay a sheet of 6 mil plastic and tape any seams.
3) Cut your cork and click it together on the floor.
4) Make sure you leave a 1/4" expansion joint around the edges. The floor needs room to accommodate structural movement.
5) You can optionally run a bead of glue in the joints as you install the floor to permanently bond the material together and increase its resistance to moisture.
6) Cap the edges off with quarter round.

No need for 1/4" subfloor unless the OSB is really not even and flat. Click together floors generally allow about 1/10" out of level without the need to built low spots up.
I'd like to weigh in here with a few questions of my own.

Is there any particular advantage to click together cork floors over, say cork floors that are glued down?

I'm assuming that the 6 mil plastic serves as a vapor barrier to the sub? What kind of tape do you use to connect the plastic?
RMCarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #13

cork in bathroom

I also have a question -- hoping this is not bad thread etiquette! Is it possible to use 6mm solid cork underlayment as your actual finished floor? I'm assuming I would need to glue the cork down and then finish it with poly? This would be for a small laundry area that was previously finished with sheet vinyl. Let me know if this is a bad idea. Thanks!

lesp is offline   Reply With Quote