Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

coping baseboards

I'm having trouble coping my inside corners on my baseboards. The videos made it look so easy, and like they would come out perfect- unfortunately, not so easy, and my edges have gaps and, well, look like an amateur did them (what a surprise...). If anyone has any tips for me, it would be much appreciated.

preciouschristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #2

coping baseboards

I'm doing my baseboards now and coping the ends. First measure the piece you need and cut ends at 45 degrees that you want to cope and take a coping saw and follow the profile on the edge with the 45 degree and it will be perfect. Not to complicate things, after I cut my 45 degree I turn the piece upside down and use the miter saw to cut up to where you need to use a coping saw. This just makes it faster instead of using the coping saw to cut the staight lines. Hope this helps

hrjrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

coping baseboards

most likely you problem is that most all corners are not a perfect 90. So the 45 degree cuts are incorrect to start with. There are many attachments and guides available to help. basically you just need to back cut at a slight angle using a jig saw and fine tune with a rasp or sandpaper.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #4

coping baseboards

Cutting the baseboard at a 45 is just a guide to cut the lenght you need and to cut the profile of the baseboard with a coping saw. It does NOT stay at a 45. I did my whole house this way (with Red Oak) and it came out perfect.
hrjrkr is offline   Reply With Quote