Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Share |

Converting a Shed into an Office

Greetings,
Have an outdoor shed that is perfect for an office. Its of sturdy construction with 2"x4" walls, siding and a shingled roof. Right now it sits on blocks but I'm considering putting it on a slab.

The shed was used to store lawn equipment before and the floor (plywood) is not in great shape. I'm considering replacing it but am concerned because it I don't want to have to go up under the 2"x4" to replace them (at the base of the walls).

My main question revolves around when I replace the plywood -
- What has to go on top of the plywood in order for me to put some tile down?
- Can I tile right over the plywood?
- Is that a good/bad idea for any specific reason?

This is a long term project for me and I'm excited as hell about it because I'm going to do it all myself (good, bad or ugly). I've already got wire buried from the shed to the main panel at the house and once my electrician friend helps me hook that up I'll have power out there too. It will eventually become a fully functioning office when I'm done with it.

Thanks!
ssgtjoenunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Need some pictures.
Ever seen tile as a floor in an office?
The way most sheds are built it's unlikly with out a whole lot of rebuilding it's going to work out because of flexing.
Unless we can see what you mean by the plywood looks bad were going to have to guess what to do next.
Unless it's rotten or there's holes in it just go over it with another layer of subfloor rated plywood.
May want to concider a low nap commercial carpet. That way a chair will still roll around on it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Best thing you can do before you put any money into it,is to check with your local building department,and see if it's even allowed,you may need a certificate of occupancy.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

I shouldn't need a certificate of occupancy as it will be a home office not for commercial use.

In terms of the floor, the current plywood isn't rotted or with holes, it is just splintered in a few places as it was used as a lawn equipment storage for several years. I've also been recommended by another person to just lay new plywood on top of the existing.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

That will work.
No glue just nail it down with ring shanked nails.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
DIY staff

Yep--overlay it with 1/2" bc exposure one plywood --then use Ditra to prepare it for the tile--

1/4" Durrock could also be used---but the little extra expense for the Ditra would be good insurance --that floor may not be strong enough for tile--so go the extra mile ----
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

On this one I disagree with tile.
Reason being it's going to be hard to roll an office chair around on it, also far more likly to crack the tile with the point loading of the chair.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #8

So this shed has a partially completed roof with an open area in the middle (hard to explain without pictures). In the area above where the ceiling is up (the attic for lack of a better term) I actually found a low nap carpet that I guess the previous owner had in mind for the floor.

After seeing that and worrying about tile cracking, I think I'm going to go with your recommendation of a low nap carpet. That should lay right on top of the plywood with some tack strips right?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #9

Here's a pic of the inside of the shed so you can see the state of the existing floor. Sorry its not a very good shot but the picture wasn't originally intended for this purpose.

I can shoot some additional pictures later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting a Shed into an Office-photo.jpg