Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Congoleum Duraceramic Alignment

Anyone have any suggestions for installing Congoleum Duraceramic with grout lines and getting the tiles aligned? I did a small pantry just for practice and didn't have very good results. The problem with this stuff is that as soon as it touches the glue, it's bonded, you can't move it like you can with ceramic tile. I've tried the tile spacers, pieces of tile, thin wood strips, etc. No luck so far. I'm sure that the guys that do this every day get pretty good at it but I need to do a small hallway and laundry room and then will probably never touch the stuff again.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
PS: I know they say you are supposed to let the glue dry to a tack but what if I didn't? Then I could move the piece around a bit if it wasn't aligned properly.

depawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,946

I use Allour flooring I bought from Home Depot and have yet to have any trouble with it. No glue needed. I've done several bathrooms and enterance ways, I liked it some much I did my kitchen with it. I have 5 dogs and there's never been any scratches.
You may want to look at this web site of peole complaning about the product you used.
http://congoleum-duraceramic.pissedc...120276217.html

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,088

Type Allure into the search box here and you will also find many complaints about it. For example..

Thoughts and opinions on "Trafficmaster Allure" flooring from Home Depot?

Last edited by rusty baker; 12-02-2011 at 07:07 AM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Another product is not an option for me. Already bought the Congoleum.
depawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
PS: I know they say you are supposed to let the glue dry to a tack but what if I didn't? Then I could move the piece around a bit
That would be really stupid...don't do that. Then the glue would never dry. Just install it like you are supposed to, take your time, it IS NOT THAT DIFFICULT. Don't drop the tile in place until you are sure it is in the right place.

Once you have established a few tiles (3) on the floor and have created an "L" then you can use four spacers (if you have to) to slowly and gently place the tiles. Begin in the center of the room, snap a chalk line on the floor, spread glue, wait for it to dry, then set your first tile perfectly on the chalk line, then one more above it and again on the chalk line, then one beside the first tile spacing it correctly. Now you have an "L" and begin to use the spacers.

Keep moving in a straight line on the line, every time you create an "L" pocket set a tile in the pocket.