Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Has anyone heard of this product and/or installed it?
We just had it installed in our kitchen on Monday and the acrylic grout has pin holes. The installer wants to re-grout without removing the original grout. Is this a good idea?
What have you heard about this new product?
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #2

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

We carry it, but I have yet to use it myself.
I will ask other salespeople to see if they have had problems with grout.

seems to me they can fill those by refloating the area.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #3

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

i had the same problems this woman his with pin holes imperfections in this grout. What did you find out about it?
cmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #4

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

I just joined to find out about this product and wanted to email you directly but i don't have 20 posts yet...trying to get there

Anyway, what happened with your floor? I had the same problem. Pin holes, brush marks, etc and I made them regrout the entire thing. Looked MUCH MUCH better. It still isn't perfect but I have had the contractor back so many times now it is ridiculous.

Did they leave the grout "film" on your floor? They told me it would come up after a few washings but I contacted congoleum and the contractor is suppposed to wipe it up with an ammonia and water solution. the longer it sits the harder it is to get up. Mine has already sat like that for a month. I am so furious I could scream. I will have to try and do it myself this weekend. So much for hiring someone to make things easier on myself. Uhg!

I am interested to know how you made out because I don't know of anyone else that has used this product.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #5

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Good luck to you on your new floors.
I had Dura Ceramic professionally installed in 2004. After resloving the same grout problems, it looked great, and I love the feel of it, but mine got scratches (I think from my dog's toenails) and it started developing little holes in the surface after only a year. After more than a year of calling, waiting, and inspectors coming and going, Congoleum finally decided I must have made the holes myself (there are more than 75 all over my kitchen!) and refuses to stand behind their warranty. At this point, I would never recommend Dura Ceramic to anyone. I hope the product has improved and you won't have the same problems.
lesneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #6

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Thanks for your post. I only wish I had done more research before having the floors installed. I just noticed my grout starting to crack and I haven't even had the floors for a year. The contractor told me I didn't need a subfloor so I am pretty sure the flex is causing the cracking. I haven't called the contractor yet because I am so sick of dealing with the floors. It was supposed to be fun to get new flooring and it hasn't been fun at all. I should have stuck with my original choice which was high quality sheet vinyl. The salesman talked me into this stuff and it seemed kinda neat. Ugh, I could kick myself.
Any suggestions about the cracking grout? Do you still have your floor down or did you rip it up and install something else? I am so disappointed in my choice and I don't think the contractor is going to do anything to help me and from your email it doesn't look like I will be able to count on Congeleum helping me either. Thanks for your post. I feel like such a fool!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #7

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Bonnie,
I had the same flooring put down in November of 06 and the contractor didn't put down a subfloor first. My grout is cracking everywhere and I was wondering how your floor was installed and if you were having any other problems. I just replied to another guy who also had this installed and wasn't happy with it after a year or so.
Just wondering what was happening with your floor.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Has anyone heard of this product and/or installed it?
We just had it installed in our kitchen on Monday and the acrylic grout has pin holes. The installer wants to re-grout without removing the original grout. Is this a good idea?
What have you heard about this new product?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #8

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanley View Post
Thanks for your post. I only wish I had done more research before having the floors installed. I just noticed my grout starting to crack and I haven't even had the floors for a year. The contractor told me I didn't need a subfloor so I am pretty sure the flex is causing the cracking. I haven't called the contractor yet because I am so sick of dealing with the floors. It was supposed to be fun to get new flooring and it hasn't been fun at all. I should have stuck with my original choice which was high quality sheet vinyl. The salesman talked me into this stuff and it seemed kinda neat. Ugh, I could kick myself.
Any suggestions about the cracking grout? Do you still have your floor down or did you rip it up and install something else? I am so disappointed in my choice and I don't think the contractor is going to do anything to help me and from your email it doesn't look like I will be able to count on Congeleum helping me either. Thanks for your post. I feel like such a fool!
I still have my duraceramic. It was installed over a concrete slab and I have not had any problems with the grout once the installers came back twice to get rid of the initial holes in it. I'm trying to decide if I should hire an independent inspector to get a second opinion about the holes in the tiles. Good luck with your grout.
lesneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #9

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

I just joined 8/27/07 to be able to post to this forum. I had a duraceramic floor installed in my kitchen in May. The grout has discolored. I chose an almost white grout as I wanted it very light but it just gets dirty. I also have to clean the tiles on my hands and knees to get the dirt out of the little grooves in each tile. Mopping does NOTHING. The store where I purchased it just gave me a new cleaner to try which was a little easier to use but it had to be rinsed off several times. I purchased the floor because it was supposed to be easier to clean not harder. I also have pits in the grout and after cleaning this week water oozed out between one of the tiles and grout so I'm sure it's loosening from all the scrubbing. I'm ready to ask for a congoleum rep to come to the house. Will they? I too think the grout needs to be re done but how do they do that? I'm told it should not be high and even with the tile edges. My tiles were glued over the existing old linoleum. Any comments/help would be much appreciated. I just advised my neighbor NOT to buy this product.
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #10

Question

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

I am another Bonnie who has just joined this forum for help on this floor. I have it and have problems with it (holes in the finish). I am now planning to remove it after less than 4 years and want to know if anyone has suggestions on the easiest way to do this. The floor is grouted in and I have come to hate it. I believe it is concrete below and I don't know about any other sub floor. Can anybody help me?
Bonnielsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #11

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Hi,
I just joined this forum to find out what to do with my duraceramic floor.
I had it installed about 1 year ago, with sub flooring underneath, no grout, and the top layer is cracking and chipping off. A couple of the tiles developed bumps which turned into cracks. What should I do? I appreciate any and all help with this problem.

Than you.
esim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #12

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Well, first do a search on Duraceramic here. Once you read all that has been said (and it makes for a loooooong read) you'll probably come to the conclusion that this product - as any product - does have inherent weaknesses that pros don't like, but that so many DIYers love.

You must, these days, research something first, before you do anything. If you go the opposite route then be prepared for the consequences. Here, it's just a floor tile...but the same reasoning IMO applies to everything.

Sorry about your problems.

But you get what you pay for. Or as someone said, "garbage in, garbage out". To be clear, I have never installed the product so I cannot make a judgement on it. It applies in certain situations but that definition of 'certain' is limited. I do trust my colleagues here who have an opinion to give since they have installed it.
The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #13

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

My tiles are grouted and the only chipping problems I have had have been my fault. Dropping heavy things, knives, etc so I have a couple of small spots where the tiles have chipped. I would have a rep come out and look at the floor. The tiles were meant to be installed either with or without grout, so your tiles shouldn't be chipping for no reason. Other than the fact that my grout is cracking (because I was told I didn't need a subfloor with this tile) I haven't had any other problems with the floor. The grout and the tiles clean easily. I don't love the floor and wouldn't recommend it. The tiles are very very slippery. I wanted a nicer looking solution to ceramic tile but this just isn't it. I will probably keep the floor until my kids grow up and then take it up and put down wood. Next time, I will research a new product more and my contractor more before I spend this kind of money to have floors put down. I am sorry to hear of your problems. It is so disappointing when something is ruined not long after it is put down especially when it is not your doing. Call Congoleum and have someone come out and look at the floor. At this point, what do you have to lose?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

Quote:
then take it up and put down wood.
Keep in mind that you may not like DC because it's slippery, but wood is not any more slip resistant.
Plus it is more prone to moisture problems in a Kitchen than DC is.
I just want to make sure you don't trade one problem for another.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #15

Congoleum Dura Ceramic

This floor seems way more slippery than wood but maybe not. I guess overall if you see my posts for the past couple of years. the contractor that laid the floor down did a horrible job and i have never been happy with the workmanship. Overall the floor and the grout are very easy to clean and I am just not sure it is any better than getting a good quality vinyl. Thanks for the post about the wood. I appreciate it. I will have this floor for at least another 10 years. My kids are little!! So, let me ask you this, in your opinion what is the best floor you can put down in the kitchen?