Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

Share |

Confused about "Floating" Floors

Perhaps a dumb question but, if my floor is nailed to plywood underlayment, but is not attached to the concrete sub-floor (I live in a condo on the 3rd floor of an 8 story building & there are no joists to connect the floor to, just a concrete subfloor) is it still called a "Floating" floor since neither the floor nor the underlayment are attached to the concrete subfloor? There is 1/8" insulayment between the concrete & plywood.
Thanks!

eis61374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Tileguy

Say What!!!!

If the floor is attached to nothing, then how can it be anything but a floating floor? That's what a floating floor is.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #3

Thanks!
I assumed it was indeed still a "floating floor" but the individuals who built the building claim that because the 3/4" oak is nailed to the plywood underlayment that it is NOT a floating floor. Also, the flooring guy at Home Depot said the same thing. I am a total newbie when it comes to any of this so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can because of numerous disasters caused by the builders, not only in my unit but thruout the building.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Tileguy

Jheeeazh!!! It's not a floating floor in the sense that today's floating floors are being sold but if the plywood is not attached it is still a floating floor.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #5

And the same construction company is building 2 more 8 story condos right across the street. Maybe I should try to get them to let me swap units when those are ready By the time they finish those buildings maybe they'll have gotten a handle on things. I didn't realize construction companies did things on a trial & error basis. Oh well, on the bright side maybe I can get some aggression out when I take up the current floor, that is, if the mold I discovered between the two 3/8" plywood underlayment layers doesn't kill me first.

Thanks again!