DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Confused about carpet

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  firsttimeremode 
#1 ·
I was under the impression that my carpet had been previous-owner-installed, because the house is thirty-two years old and the carpet is like new. 32-year-old carpet is usually flat from being walked on so much, and this one is still very soft and full. Yesterday i looked closer at it, and it continues under the walls, which tells me it factory-installed. How? How can a 32-year old house have factory-installed carpet that still looks and feels new? Especially a mobile home? The man it was bought from told us that several families had lived in it, but that seems impossible with this carpet, it has no stains and no flat spots. I am so confused. I bought a mobile home from 1985 a few months back, and it had previous-owner-installed carpet and subfloors, and that carpet was flat in the middle, as this one should be, but its not. Any logical explanation for this?

#4 ·
there is no baseboard, its just paneling, and yeah i pulled on the carpet right against the wall. On the perimeter wall, it pulled loose after a bit of force, but on interior walls it remained firmly in place, and my fiance went into the bedroom on the other side of the wall, and told me that the carpet was moving on the other side when i pulled on it from my side. As you can see in this pic, this color of carpet should have multiple stains if several families had lived here.

Attachments

#5 ·
The fact that the carpet is under the walls in a mobile home confirms that it was factory installed and not a replacement. Mobile home manufacturers do it that way.

It could be the original owner(s) upgraded the carpet and pad from the factory and had very little traffic while living in it, and maintained it well and had the carpet regularly cleaned.

Best,
onflooring

***From: Terms of Service: "Participants may not include their company name as part of their username"***

#6 ·
I guess that has to be it, i just dont see how a carpet lasts thirty two years and is not flat anywhere. I suppose if it was special ordered with a really high grade carpet and padding, and was taken care of then it could. Just very confused. Previous owner didnt strike me as the type. Not to mention, they had dogs. it seems that the dogs themselves would have flattened the carpet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.