Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |

Condo Flooring

I'm looking at replacing the flooring in my condo. It is approximately 600 square feet which includes our living room, kitchen, entryway, and laundry room.

Originally, we were looking at tile for the entryway and kitchen but after talking to a salesperson, he mentioned that doing laminate throughout would be best for the condo as it would open up the space the most. Is laminate suitable for our entryway and kitchen? The manufacturer of the laminate is Mirror Lake if that makes a difference. The sales person said it wouldn't be a problem but my parents had been talking to other sales people who said that laminate would swell if water was spilt on it.

I'm just concerned about moisture damage in the kitchen and entryway. Thoughts?

prbimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
msv
Hardwood pro

Condo Flooring

if installed nice and tight and any spills will be wiped in time, you should be fine... now with any leaks from a dishwasher or fridge water connection..... that laminate is gonna swell like crazy....
go tile in foyer, kitchen and laundry, hardwood for the rest....(i'm a hardwood guy.... and frankly, i hate laminate.... looks cheap, feels cheap, even if you pay $4/sqft for it) pick a nice handscraped wide plank.....i sure love those...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #3

Condo Flooring

Personally, I am with you regarding hardwood but unfortunately my condo won't allow real hardwood mostly due to sound control. If I have a major leak such as a dishwasher/washing machine leak then will it matter? I mean the floor will probably have to be ripped up no matter what's on it to make sure the floor joists and floorboards are dry, won't it?
prbimaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #4

Condo Flooring

I put down laminate in my condo this past spring. It is a rental(I lived there for 12 yrs-same carpet) and I felt that was the best option. It does open the space and the renter loves it.

I used a Lowe's brand (Darlington Oak??) and laid it myself with the help of my dad. It encompasses the LR and DR as well as the hallway and the bedroom closets for tie-in. I left the kitchen, baths and laundry as peel n' stick and the 2 bedrooms are carpeted.

It looks great to this day and was easy to do. I am sure there are cut-in errors and mismatches here and there but overall it does make the difference. When the carpet comes up look for cracking which can cause sound issues for neighbors. Address with floor leveler and filler and use sound barrier underlayment.

Are you doing it yourself? If so, take your time and do it right. Ask questions and learn as you go. If not, still keep an open eye on the work and question cut-ins. Remember that laminate is hard to get around corners and jams. I used a reversible backsaw to get under jams and into closets...Worth the time!!
I plan on posting pics when I get a moment...

Good luck!!

Last edited by Han'D'; 01-15-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: add pics
Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote