Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

concrete subfloor not level

Hi there,

Has anyone had any experience laying Pergo snap 'n click laminate flooring over concrete subfloor that was NOT level? This is our situation and we have begun to chop out portions of the concrete floor that are the worst off, but we know we wont' be able to get the whole thing perfect and cannot afford to throw down self levelling compound over the entire 800 square feet.

How much leeway do we have and can anyone share tips for how to remedy this?

AnnaVanLenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

There is not a lot of leeway on putting this over uneven flooring. It has to be pretty level.

This type of flooring can bridge small indentations so breaking up the high points is not a bad idea.

If the floor is not above anything else you could pour a thin layer of water to see where the high points are. Be very careful so that the water doesn't extend to other parts of the house. Caulking the concrete/sill plate joint will keep the water in.

I have done this in several homes and it works well. Once I get the high spots hammered down I removed the water with a wet vac.

Then I put down the flooring.

If you have sheetrock to the floor then this is not an option (and really sheet rock should never be touching a concrete floor).

You can also get some leveler and level the areas that are the worst. The laminate flooring can go over gradual ups and downs that are far apart. What the term far apart means is too difficult to describe in an on line forum but I would say no more than a 1/32" change per foot (just guessing here).

Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

The floor must be flat for the flooring to fit together properly. I used Planipatch (Lowes) to fill in the low spots on my concrete slab.
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote