Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Share |

concrete subfloor?

greeting all.
I started redoing my bathroom and upon pulling up the floor tiles, i notice there is a concrete subfloor.
what i would like to know is, what is the proper name or terminology for the type of concrete that is there and the proper terminology or the name
for the type of subflooring it is.
some of it was broken and now i have chunks missing that I would like to fill in so i can put new flooring down.

does anyone know the names of what im asking
and
can anyone recommend me what is a good type of "concrete" or whatever is used to make that subfloor, to use to fill in the gaps of the missing and broken chunks so that i can get it level

thanks

dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #2

concrete subfloor?

Ummm, hey Dude how bout a little pic.
Always wanted to call some dude a tool, how bout changing your name to 'dudestool'
No? Ok just a thought.
But in all sincerity send a photograph your request is just to vague.

mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

concrete subfloor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
greeting all.
I started redoing my bathroom and upon pulling up the floor tiles, i notice there is a concrete subfloor.
What i would like to know is, what is the proper name or terminology for the type of concrete that is there and the proper terminology or the name
for the type of subflooring it is.
Some of it was broken and now i have chunks missing that i would like to fill in so i can put new flooring down.

Does anyone know the names of what im asking
and
can anyone recommend me what is a good type of "concrete" or whatever is used to make that subfloor, to use to fill in the gaps of the missing and broken chunks so that i can get it level

thanks
huh?..........
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Tileguy

concrete subfloor?

Hey Dudeman,

Just to clarify, I think Mrs fix it is asking for a pic of your floor, not of the Dudestool.

You didn't mention it but I'm assuming you removed ceramic tiles, I think you were surprised to find a concrete floor cuz the rest of your house is over a wooden floor....right?

We call that "mud", "deck mud" or "mortar bed" etc. It's a mix of sand and Portland cement at about a 1:5 - 1:6 ratio, hopefully. In small residential applications it's usually 3/4 - 1 1/4" thick.

Whether you can/should keep this or rip it out depends on its condition, send pics.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #5

concrete subfloor?

Yes I meant to say post pick of floor and NOTHING else,
<~~~sticking my head back in the sand.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Tileguy

concrete subfloor?

Glad to see you have a sense of humor. I hope I didn't embarrass you, but no one knows who you are...so.......

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #7

concrete subfloor?

No insult taken, trust me I live in a house full of men. If I haven't learned how to take a joke by now then I am hopelessly lost forever.

I should clarify before I get in deeper, I am married 24 years with three adult sons, well as adult as boys can be.