Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Concrete Staining??

My wife and I are in the process of buying a new house. I've seen some houses around where I live with concrete stained & seeled garage floors and driveways and they look REALLY good. I want to make this the first thing I do to our new house so I've been doing alot of research on the net and it sounds do-able...
I am looking for advice from anyone (contractor or just average Joe like me...) who has done this or had it done.
Any information will be greatly appreciated...And pic's would be great too!!

Thanks in advance...

JB

CptSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

Concrete Staining??

http://www.gayegoodman.com/

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #3

Concrete Staining??

IN my neighborhood there are several homes that had this done about five years ago - all of them look lousy now. They fade badly even with the recommemded resealing every year or so. (I am talking about exterior - not garage floor staining)
lgkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #4

Concrete Staining??

I've just been looking into this for my work and what we are now considering is dyeing and polishing. Staining is a chemical process where dyeing is a pore filling process that is more predictable and cheaper.
kayakertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #5

Concrete Staining??

I just painted my garage floor today using the Behr 1-part epoxy and it came out really nice. Just follow the instructions and make sure you do a good prep...Here is what I did...

Started out with Behr cleaner and degreaser. I rented a floor cleaning machine with a stiff brush from HD for $30. After I rinsed I etched the floor with the Behr concrete etcher...also used the machine.

I rinsed out all the chemicals with a pressure washer and let the floor fry for a week and a half. You want to make sure it drys really well... Also, make sure to wash the chemicals out of your driveway very well, they stain...Im going to hit the stains with some cleaner and a pressure washer in the AM

I applied one coat of behr concrete primer (use crappy bruches/rollers for this, the stuff doesnt wash off easy, I threw everything out after I was done.) I let the primer dry 16 hrs.

I applied one coat of the 1-part epoxy paint which you can get tinted to almost any color. I also used the color flakes.

Tomorrow I am sealing the floor in the AM with a clear low gloss sealant, and Ill be done.

The prep is the hardest part and most time consuming. The painting went very easy, but if you dont prep well the hot tires will pick up the paint.

Hopefully it all lasts at least a few yrs before needing touch up...

Good luck!
jmat1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #6

Concrete Staining??

jmat - thanks for the post. please come back in a years time to give us an update!

Knucklez

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote