Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #1

Share |

concrete screw

I'm having difficulty anchoring a 3/4 inch subfloor to the basement concrete. I have an air gap plastic underlayment below the OSB and trying to securely anchor the OSB subfloor since I'll be tiling on this (1/4inch hardiebacker over OSB). I don't want movement so I chose longer 2 3/4 inch Tapcon screws. That means 1 inch through subfloor/underlayment and the bottom 1 3/4 inch in concrete. I pre drilled with provided 3/16inch drill bit with a hammer drill. The corded drill i'm borrowing doesn't have the power to get screw down. My 18V cordless is currently getting repaired. I would think the corded drill would have enough power to get screw down but it doesn't. Should I get shorter screws? Should I use a bigger drill bit? Is there a way to tell what power rating I get out of a corded drill? On a cordless I know a 18Volt battery packs a punch but how can I tell if a corded drill has enough power?

8roty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

concrete screw

Why ae you putting wood on the concrete before installing ceramic? Absolutely, the wrong thing to do.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

concrete screw

Simple, I don't want a cold tile floor. So once the OSB is anchored it will be similar to a 1st floor installation. I'll mortar over that, lay down 1/4" hardiebacker and fasten with screws.
8roty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Experienced goon

concrete screw

Definitely don't change screws or hole size. Surprising that the drill can't do it... Does it have a torque clutch set too low (usually a ring of numbers near the chuck)?

A cordless impact driver will get those screws in, no problem. It will also become your favorite around the house tool.
jpelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
DIY Hack

concrete screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8roty View Post
I'm having difficulty anchoring a 3/4 inch subfloor to the basement concrete. I have an air gap plastic underlayment below the OSB and trying to securely anchor the OSB subfloor since I'll be tiling on this (1/4inch hardiebacker over OSB). I don't want movement so I chose longer 2 3/4 inch Tapcon screws. That means 1 inch through subfloor/underlayment and the bottom 1 3/4 inch in concrete.
1-3/4" in the concrete is really right around the maximum embedment that blue screws can handle. Depending on the compressive strengh of the concrete, and amount of aggreagate you might have problems driving them this deep with any drill. it's only going to get worse as your drill bits become dull and the pilot holes get tighter. For your application I would really consider going with a shorter screw.

if you insist on going this long, you might have better luck if you use compressed air to blow the dust out of the holes before installing screws, and change out your drill bits more often

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

concrete screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8roty View Post
Simple, I don't want a cold tile floor. So once the OSB is anchored it will be similar to a 1st floor installation. I'll mortar over that, lay down 1/4" hardiebacker and fasten with screws.
I guess when you have to redo it in a couple years, you can do it right that time.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote