Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #1

Share |

Concrete paint or stain

Hi All,

I have a small concrete floor area in my basement that i was thnking about staining or painting as part of my basement finishing project. Does anyone have any experience with staining or painting conrete floors? I would prefere to stain it and go for that faux stone look. I have also considered just painting it a complimentary color to the walls. Is staining a releatively easy do it yourself project? Any advice would be very helpfull!!!!

Thanks!!
DIYFOREVER

DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Tileguy

Concrete paint or stain

I have no experience with pattern staining. I do know though that you can simply stain a good clean concrete floor with much better results than painting it. Floors should never be painted. The paint of course stays on the surface where it'll show wear in a few years. Stain will last longer, but isn't a very good alternative to tile or other floor covering, unless you jazz-up the rest of the room to take the eye off the floor. A popular cheap alternative in some commercial settings.

The main drawback I think is that the floor has to be very clean and stain free, or it'll show.

Jaz

JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #3

Concrete paint or stain

Thanks for the reply JazMan! I think I will go with the stain. I saw that SW has a line of stains for concrete.

I am only staining an ~80sq. ft section. On top of the stain will be an area rug, ~5x7 ft., and then two pieces of exercise equipment. The rest of the basement is being finished off as living space....2x4 walls, insulation, drywall, paint, trim....so i think the small area with stain will not be too "in your face". I am mostly considering stain because of budget and it will allow me to cover it later if I want with lam. or carpet when I have the $$.

Thanks again!
DIYFOREVER
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote