Concrete Over Tiled Wetroom Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Concrete over tiled wetroom floor

My ID maybe bobthebuilder but im not a builder its my nickname due to me restoring antique diggers (dont ask) but thought i should explain

Right today the mrs took up the lino in our bathroom to chuck it and put down new, when she started taking the old up she found bits of concrete broken (damaged) and underneath she could see tiles, they look like wet room tiles, on speaking to a neighbour there was a wet room here some time ago, seems someone concreted over it and put lino ontop my question is how do we remove the concrete from the tiles? had a chip with a chisel but its going to take ages like that any ideas???

Advertisement

bobthebuilder74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

What are "wet room tiles"?
For that matter...What is a wet room?
How thick are the tiles?
What are the tiles attached to?
How thick is the concrete?

Ya gotta help us to help you.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #3

tiles like you have round a swimming pool is how best i can describe them, non slip how thickno idea what there on no idea just there there and have a very thin layer of concrete over the top 1 maybe 2mm :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Tileguy

Sounds like you need to do a little exploration. If you want answers we need answers. We can't see into your home from where we are.

Do you walk to work or take your lunch?

Still haven't answered: "What is a wet room"?

The answer to that question may hold details we can use.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

i believe the whole bathroom was tiled (floor) with a shower so you walked in the bathroom and could get teh whole room wet, believe the owner before last was disabled, then the last owner had a bath put in so did the concrete and lino thing the tiles (i found) run under the bath etc, there about 30cm square non slip not sure what else i could know without taking them up when infact i want to put it back into a wet room all i want to do is get the concrete off ....
Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Tileguy

Okay let's keep going...

Do you intend to save the existing wet room tiles as-is where-is and continue to use them?

Is there a floor vent?

If what you have there is a true old fashion "wet room" then there is the likelihood that there is also a layer of concrete below the tiles.

I guess I should ask if this is a wood structure/subfloor or is it a concrete floor throughout the house?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #7

Ideal situation remove the lino (done) remove the concrete andu use the existing floor tiles (wet room) yes there is a floor vent, judging by how long the last owner was here the tiles would appear to be old and yes judging by the rest of the property there is concrete under the other floors we had no idea we had a tiled floor until we removed the lino today, ideally we would love a wet room so ideal for us if the concrete can be removed and the wet room (floor tiles) reconstituted :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
Tileguy

Got it. Here's a possible scenario. The old tiles may be installed over a concrete substrate if it was intended for the entire room to be wet-proof all along. If this is the case...to remove the old tiles could be a real bag of worms for you. If the room is what I am suspecting at this time it is a good substantial installation and if you would be happy with saving it you may be better off. I doubt the room is "water proof" however but apparently it is wet-proof...there's a difference.

A look inside the floor vent may tell you exactly what is down there layer for layer. There is probably a metal duct in the vent hole that you may have to pry a little to get a look at the layers.

If the concrete on top of the tiles is very thin it is a skim-coat used to fill the old grout lines and keep the vinyl from telegraphing the grout lines thru the vinyl.

This may be a problem to remove without damaging the tiles.

The first thing I would do is get the concrete wet then scrub on it with a mild abrasive like a 3M scrubbee. See if that has any effect on the concrete. With any luck it will start to remove the concrete and create a slurry that can be wiped away with repeated sponging.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #9

think youve hit the nail on the head the concrete that came up when she took the lino up (between the lino and the tiles) was only 1mm if that its wafer thin. i think your right its a skim coat, as in places you can see the outline of the tiles through the concrete (if that makes sense) so basically get it wet with abrasive pardon my ignorance where would i get something to use thats suitable, would a steamer (steam cleaner) be of any advantage??
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
so basically get it wet with abrasive pardon my ignorance where would i get something to use thats suitable,
If you get it wet it may loosen things enough to scrub away the coating. Just depends on what was used to skim coat. If it is grey it contains Portland cement and that's going to be the issue. If it is white it probably contains gypsum which in those days was used routinely to skim-coat ahead of a vinyl installation. Gypsum would be much easier to deal with.

WalMart (and other places) sell small abrasive pad with a handle attached to them. I would start with one of them, I call them them scrubbee's but have no idea what the real name is. You are still in the discovery stage so don't get too aggressive just yet.

If the scrubbee doesn't work you could go to a wire brush but most wire brushes will damage the tiles by leaving black metal-marks on the tile.

The steam thing may not be a bad idea but just be careful what you use to scape with at this point.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
Tileguy

What can you tell me about the tile itself? What kind of tile? What color is it? How big are the tiles? If the vent-inspection reveals anything what is the thickness of the tiles?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #12

its grey! definatly grey! i will try the scrub idea and possibly add some steam to the mix to aid removal, the wire brush idea is possible as im thinking of painting it afterwards as the tiles are not new and suffered under the concrete
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Tileguy

What size are the tiles?
How thick are the tiles?
Could you look inside the floor vent?

You really can not paint ceramic tile.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

there 6" x 6" beige colour not very thick from what i can see (hard to tell) they have a block raised design on them (non slip i presume) nothing fancy, they survived being hit with a big hammer with no cracks, i got some of the concrete off that way..... the mrs looked at our local builders merchants they had tile paint so presume she assumes its for tiles?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Tileguy

Sounds like quarry tiles but not sure.

Home Centers do sell "tile paint". Don't be scammed by that product, it won't last for long and once you use it you have ruined the tiles for sure. It just doesn't work.

How about a picture?

Advertisement