Concrete Leveling - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

concrete leveling

More issues and issues when working on finishing our basement. I was installing the last door yesterday it was the door to our laundry room and the garage wall is right next to it. The concrete is not very level right by the wall and the laundry room is built at a slight slant for the drain and that slant I think came out into the hallway and right by the door a little when they were pouring it.
Well I can not install the door because I would have to raise it to high to get it square and level and then I would have a very large gap down by the door jam when the flooring in the hallway goes in (wood floors) the place I have to level is not that large maybe 2ft by 2 ft. It is a little bit infrom of the door in the hallway, in the actual door openng and a little in the laundry room. Its kind of a half moon shape coming out from the wall that I have to level out.
What is the best to use? Self leveling concrete? Concrete patch? I also have a small crack int he hallway that I am going to fill (epoxy I beleive) and the very end of that crack runs into where I have to level they crack comes to an end there so it is very very thin. Do I have to expoxy it first or just leave it and fill into level with whatever stuff?

Advertisement

grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

concrete leveling

Where are you getting this "epoxy" idea? Why would you want to use epoxy? It will serve no purpose. Use some Portland based patch for the crack and some sand mix or mortar mix to raise the swoop. Self leveling compound has its limits and wouldn't be used in this case either. You are trying to making this way too difficult.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #3

concrete leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Where are you getting this "epoxy" idea? Why would you want to use epoxy? It will serve no purpose. Use some Portland based patch for the crack and some sand mix or mortar mix to raise the swoop. Self leveling compound has its limits and wouldn't be used in this case either. You are trying to making this way too difficult.

I thought you had to use an epoxy based stuff for the cracks? May be wrong but most of the research I did online was epoxy based stuff.

As for the dip I was also told self leveling stuff, but I have never done it so that is why I am asking and having conflicting info given to me
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Tileguy

concrete leveling

Self Levelling Compounds are intended to level (plane) large and small floor areas. It is very expensive and would be a waste of money in this case when you can do the same thing with a bag of sand mix or mortar mix. Generally speaking a 50# bag of self leveller will cover 50 square feet 1/8" thick at a cost of about thirty dollars per bag. Sand mix - 5 bucks. Self leveller also has limits as to how thick you can pour it at one time. You can add pea gravel to bulk it up but there again, why go through all that? How deep is this depression anyway?

As far as the epoxy goes.....NOTHING will bridge the gap permanently, not even epoxy. I'm imagining the information you are getting about the benefits of the epoxy is coming from people that sell epoxy. Use a crack filler and keep your money in your pocket. There are also concrete-patch type caulks available for filling cracks. These crack fillers come in a tube for dispensing with a caulk gun or you can buy them in "pourable" form that will self level.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

concrete leveling

floor is off about a half and inch, it is a small area maybe a few square feet to get it level. Poeple that told me about epoxy were not selling it it is what I have just always heard. Even on this forum
Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Tileguy

concrete leveling

Do as you wish! Just trying to save you some money and get the job done.

Advertisement